Official Review: The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge L...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: The Adventures of Oscar and the Lounge L...

Post by bellaterrabooks »

Children during the prime aspects of their developmental stages are challenged when confronted with adult issues, such as death and divorce. When relayed through fantastical creatures or written from their perspective, these situations, in turn, allow them to experience empowerment. While no longer feeling helpless, these youthful citizens are able to be well-developed and thereby confront life’s adversities in a healthy way.
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

So many children have to cope with the situations that many adults find difficult. Reading and literature has always been a fantastic way to help cope. Children need the escape they can find in fancify stories that redirects their attention from the troubles that overwhelm them. Divorce and death are two major catastrophic events in a child's life and allowing them the time to escape to a world that they can imagine and make sense of can only be comfort to those that love them .
preethijkumar
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preethijkumar.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by preethijkumar »

I love how the author intertwines fantasy with the brutal hardships the boy had to face. Julia Mary Clark has certainly upped her game this time with this book. Definitely worth the read, even for parents, as they can finally see how children struggle with the pain of divorce. Thanks for this well-written review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A wonderful way to teach both children and parents to deal with difficult situations. Escaping the harsh reality is sometimes all we can hope for, and adventures in a magical world is just the way to do that. Thanks for the enjoyable review!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like an interesting children's book. Unique plot. Great review!
:tiphat:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I love everything about this book. Not only is the book applicable life, but it also uses context clues to teach readers about unfamiliar subjects.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

An interesting read about a talking lizard that helps to distract a young boy from a loss of a grandfather and his parents' divorce. This children's book will really keep the conversations going between children and parents on coping with difficult issues. Thanks for a nice review.
Lady Peecky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lady Peecky »

I love the fact that Oscar was able to find a friend and father figure in Larry, it is so expertly written in a fun way relatable with kids who have an active imagination. I will love if the book is made into a movie someday because I'll totally want to see the characters come alive.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

It seems as if Julia Mary Clark has published a must read book for children! Per the review, this book appears to be full of suspense and life lessons - lessons that those with various backgrounds and experiences can relate.It does sound like a magical tale. Thank you for the review!
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds inspirational and magical. I agree that children need help with coming to terms with death and/or divorce, and I hope that the adults in their lives will read this together in order to start a discussion. It seems like a fun book even for adults. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

Wow..firstly this is a well written and well organized review. Secondly, I love adventurous novels especially that of children genre. Thirdly, I want to commend the author for laying emphasis on the hardships most children undergo during family conflict especially that of divorce.
Pwasaato
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Pwasaato »

This is a great book to read. I love the cover and the book just remind me of events around me. Thanks .
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Based on the review it seems like its good for children trying to overcome death and divorce. I like to read about magical adventures. It seems like a good way to teach about kindness, teamwork, and the importance of family.
Shraddha singh
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Shraddha singh »

Starting from the book cover page till the whole content of book,everything is just awesome and as per it's so inspirational an even the characters are so enjoyable that this book is not just itself a book it also teaches many life lessons.this book also teaches the adults and even children's too about the importance of relationships.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Larry, a talking lizard from planet Tarastaria, brings joy to Oscar's troubled childhood. He takes Oscar on a trip to his home planet, where Oscar becomes a positive influence on the local population, and encourages the citizens to stand up to the evil emperor.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Children's Books”