Official Review: Miss Kate's Very Very Special Class Proj...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Miss Kate's Very Very Special Class Proj...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miss Kate's Very Very Special Class Project" by Lori Buckland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Miss Kate has a very, very special class project in store for her students. She wants them to learn more about good deeds. She gives them a bracelet with beads that they can slide over when they do a good deed for someone else. Their homework is to be able to slide all 6 beads to the middle of the bracelet by the next day. Will the children be able to complete this project? What good deeds will they chose to do?

Miss Kate's Very, Very Special Class Project has a great moral to share with all of us. The book would be appropriate for children in grades 1 and 2. It would, also, work well in a read aloud fashion for children younger than first grade.

There are several important elements for a good children's book, in my opinion. A good, strong lesson to learn, great illustrations to engage a child's mind, perfect grammar and editing so as to not confuse kids that are still learning the rules and diverse characters. I'm glad to say that this book meets all my expectations for a great children's book.

The illustrations are well-done. I thought that they were bright and colorful enough for everyone to enjoy. They look hand-drawn which I feel is better for children than computer generated as it helps them to feel good about their own abilities.

I enjoyed not only that this story teaches children a great lesson (some adults could still use a lesson in good deeds), but the diversity of the characters was nice to see as well. The skin tones in the drawings had a wide range of colors - not just black and white. The names, too, were not just the usual Jack and Sue. There was a Timmy, but there was also a Sonal and a Miguel. Thus, there is an unwritten theme of working together no matter your race, gender or color. This MUST be taught from a young age.

While I received a .pdf copy to view, this is one that might be worth buying in a hardback format. The hard copy of the book comes with the bracelet discussed in the book. Children could then do the project right along with the characters in the story! I love this interactive element. There is also a space in the book for a coloring project that Miss Kate mentions. To me, this is worth the extra cost.

Overall, I really enjoyed Miss Kate's Very, Very Special Class Project. There was so much to look at and so much to learn. The grammar was impeccable as I found absolutely no mistakes. I easily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone with children up to the second grade.

Miss Kate's Very Very Special Class Project
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I love the concept of the book and I loved reading your thoughts on it. It is important for kids to learn in an interactive manner and I agree, mingling with kids of different ages must be taught at a very young age indeed. I love how the hardback copy comes with the bracelet. Would make for an interactive lesson for children! Thank you for the review. :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As a parent, I appreciate books that have a hands-on approach like the bracelet you described in your review. I know it will appeal to the recommended audience as well. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Fuzaila wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 02:36 I love the concept of the book and I loved reading your thoughts on it. It is important for kids to learn in an interactive manner and I agree, mingling with kids of different ages must be taught at a very young age indeed. I love how the hardback copy comes with the bracelet. Would make for an interactive lesson for children! Thank you for the review. :)
Thanks for commenting! It really was such a fabulously well-written book.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 04:07 As a parent, I appreciate books that have a hands-on approach like the bracelet you described in your review. I know it will appeal to the recommended audience as well. Great review!
Thanks! I thought it was a genius idea myself!
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

My younger sister will definitely love this book, not to mention the fact that it comprises lessons on how to be a good person. Thanks for your enchanting review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 11:29 My younger sister will definitely love this book, not to mention the fact that it comprises lessons on how to be a good person. Thanks for your enchanting review.
Thank you for commenting! Sounds like it'd be a good book for her. :D
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book sounds great! And it is, as you have said, especially significant that it contains no errors. I love that there are (finally) starting to be more and more books with diversity. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 14:58 This book sounds great! And it is, as you have said, especially significant that it contains no errors. I love that there are (finally) starting to be more and more books with diversity. Thanks for the review.
I know! And, I didn't want to mention everything, but there was even more diversity than I mentioned in the review! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow, sounds like a great book for children. I like that the hard back actually comes with the bracelet. I hope that teachers will make this part of their curriculum this could be very beneficial. Thanks for the great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AmySmiles wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 07:22 Wow, sounds like a great book for children. I like that the hard back actually comes with the bracelet. I hope that teachers will make this part of their curriculum this could be very beneficial. Thanks for the great review!
It would definitely be a great book for a kindergarten classroom. It could even be a craft for the children to create their own bracelets. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Awesome review! Sounds like a fun book for kids, with an important lesson added in.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

The book seems like a well-written and good one for kids. It'll be very useful. Thanks for the thorough and interesting review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 13:49 Awesome review! Sounds like a fun book for kids, with an important lesson added in.
Absolutely! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:01 The book seems like a well-written and good one for kids. It'll be very useful. Thanks for the thorough and interesting review.
Thanks. Good children's books are hard to find sometimes.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”