Official Review: Rhonda the Panda by Hope Franklin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Rhonda the Panda by Hope Franklin

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rhonda the Panda" by Hope Franklin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rhonda is a young panda who, apart from eating, only wants to sleep. She is extremely lazy. Her brother, Cato, ends up playing by himself because Rhonda is always too tired. One day, her parents and her brother take her to visit her cousin, Karla. Karla and Rhonda are so excited to spend time together and, of course, play loads of games. Rhonda the Panda is a story that teaches children that playing games is more fun than being idle.

There is either an illustration or a few lines of text on each of the 36 pages in this book. The book is formatted with an illustration on one page and writing on the next. I like this setup; it gives the child time to look at the images while the parent/guardian is reading the script. Conversely, if the child is learning to read, the writing stands clearly enough without images to confuse it.

The illustrations of this book are outstanding. I absolutely love them. The pandas are all drawn with perfect scale and likeness. Usually, images depicting movement are where illustrations fall short, but these ones are done wonderfully. The colours are lively and vibrant and will keep a child’s attention easily.

Unfortunately, that is where the positives end. I think the story is fine, but there is no real focus as to where it’s headed. Rhonda starts out as a panda who doesn’t like to be active, but she’s happy to play with Karla. Why does she play with Karla and not with her brother? Why is Karla so special? There isn’t enough explanation as to why things happen like they do. On the way to Karla’s house, Rhonda, her parents, and her brother go past a playground of sorts called ‘Bamboo Gym Camp.’ There are lots of other pandas playing there that are about Rhonda’s age. Yet, all the family does is look at the camp as they walk past. Why is this place even featured? It doesn’t add anything to the story as far as I can tell. Maybe it’s there to prove that pandas that play together have lots of fun. Whatever the reason, it should not always be the reader’s duty to make a connection.

The actual narrative is also not very good. There are a few commas missing, and there is incorrect capitalisation of mom and dad throughout the story. One of the things that bother me the most is how the word ‘many’ is repeated several times in the story. This is a children’s book, and to have one word repeated so often shows a lack of imagination – or lack of a thesaurus.

I rate Rhonda the Panda 2 out of 4 stars. The illustrations carry this book. The storyline needs to be more concise and the direction needs definition. I would recommend this book to younger children (age 2 – 5) as the graphics are really fantastic. Otherwise, this story needs some inspiration before I can recommend it to anyone else.

Rhonda the Panda
View: on Bookshelves

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

If it weren't for those missing elements from the storyline, this book would be an excellent read for children, especially with those fantastic illustrations. Thank you for your honest review.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. Such a pity the story is not well developed. When deciding on a children's book to read, I usually look at the illustrations first. If the illustrations are good, I will most probably read it to my children. As you said - it keeps them captivated. After reading your review though, I might have to change my way of picking out children's books :D!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Very disappointing despite the great illustrations and the important message. If the author focused a bit more on the delivery as equally as she focused on the illustrations, this would have been a fantastic read to encourage kids to be more active. Excellent review!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I read somewhere that pandas are carnivorous in nature but eat mostly bamboo. Thus, they are often tired and sleepy. I wonder why the author chose this lethargic creature for a story about energy and play.

On the other hand, I am sure the drawings are wonderful. Pandas are just so cute.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I am curious as to why Rhonda doesn't play with her brother, my niece loves playing with her brother ( and he loves playing with her, but can't keep up). I would hate to have to think up a response for that question. Thank you for the honest review though.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

crediblereading2 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 08:18 If it weren't for those missing elements from the storyline, this book would be an excellent read for children, especially with those fantastic illustrations. Thank you for your honest review.
I agree! I think this book has a lot of potential :)
Thanks for commenting!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Corhan2 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 08:21 Thanks for the review. Such a pity the story is not well developed. When deciding on a children's book to read, I usually look at the illustrations first. If the illustrations are good, I will most probably read it to my children. As you said - it keeps them captivated. After reading your review though, I might have to change my way of picking out children's books :D!
Well, the illustrations are what the children are drawn to! So that's a definite positive for this one :) But books need imagination - children's brains need a workout too :)
Thank you so much for the comments, and for reading my review!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Morgan Jones wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 10:13 Very disappointing despite the great illustrations and the important message. If the author focused a bit more on the delivery as equally as she focused on the illustrations, this would have been a fantastic read to encourage kids to be more active. Excellent review!
Exactly! I love the lesson in this book - I think it's one that hasn't been done yet, and that's a win in itself. There is so much potential here.

Thanks, Morgan, for stopping by! I appreciate your comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Miriam Molina wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 11:15 I read somewhere that pandas are carnivorous in nature but eat mostly bamboo. Thus, they are often tired and sleepy. I wonder why the author chose this lethargic creature for a story about energy and play.

On the other hand, I am sure the drawings are wonderful. Pandas are just so cute.
That's so true, they are naturally lethargic. It's maybe like you say - everyone loves pandas, they are the cutest!
That sneezing panda on YouTube is my favourite video ever. (I'm sure you've seen it, but if you haven't - Google sneezing panda)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

daydreaming reader wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 11:53 I am curious as to why Rhonda doesn't play with her brother, my niece loves playing with her brother ( and he loves playing with her, but can't keep up). I would hate to have to think up a response for that question. Thank you for the honest review though.
Well, I was curious too! And then she played happily with her cousin... Odd.
Thank you for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

It's a shame that the narrative isn't great since the illustrations sound awesome. If only the writing was more like your review! :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's a shame the story lacks direction since the illustrations are lovely. Thanks for your honest review.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 12:26 It's a shame that the narrative isn't great since the illustrations sound awesome. If only the writing was more like your review! :)
What an awesome thing to say! Thank you!
I wish I could write books. I actually suck :lol2:
Thank you for commenting!
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 12:09 That's so true, they are naturally lethargic. It's maybe like you say - everyone loves pandas, they are the cutest!
That sneezing panda on YouTube is my favourite video ever. (I'm sure you've seen it, but if you haven't - Google sneezing panda)
Thanks for sharing the video; it's my first time to see it. Wish it was longer, though. It's amazing that that little thing could make such noise and startle its momma. :lol2:

I also discovered that caring for a panda is five times more expensive than caring for an elephant!

Return to “Children's Books”