Review by Chandler_Greg -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Chandler_Greg -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Chandler_Greg » 24 Jul 2018, 20:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I would rate this book 4 out of 4. The book is simple and repetitive as a first reader should be. As a grown reader sharing the book with a young child, the cadence Toni likes… allows room for conversation: “Toni like running”, do you like running. “Toni like singing”, what are your favorite songs? For a beginning reader, the repetition means that they can easily learn the content quickly, since each page starts with the same phrase. The activities Toni likes are depicted, providing visual clues a young reader can use to put the words in context.

The illustrations are brightly colored, well drawn and engaging. Toni looks very sharp in his superhero costume. Many children enjoy playing dress up and participating in dramatic play. With his youth and engaging smile, Toni is a believable and approachable superhero, not a dark knight, but a bright star. Toni is shown enjoying many activities in a variety of settings, both indoors and out. He is shown interacting with family and friends in what seems a safe and comfortable community.

Toni likes a lot of different activities. Children who enjoy sports will able to identify with him , but so will kids who are more artistic or musically inclined. Toni seems equally comfortable dancing and running. There are no limits on what he enjoys. We see him working at chores, playing with friends and enjoying time with family. He seems happy and comfortable in all sorts of activities.

The children shown are a multicultural group. Toni and his family are black, but his friends appear to be of many races. It doesn’t seem forced, but natural. It’s important to include characters of different cultures in books for young children, who need to see someone like themselves depicted. Showing a multiracial world also helps to open young minds to the diversity around them. It is important to be able to see oneself represented, but also to see that others are represented too.

Toni’s friends are both boys and girls. He doesn’t limit his interests to typical “boy” activities, or limit his friendships. He joins in all activities with all his friends, usually with a big smile. He seems to really enjoy himself.

Toni does things that all kids do. His super-power is that he seems so comfortable in his skin and that he has the confidence to be Toni, in all his glory.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Chandler_Greg's review? Post a comment saying so!

Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Requiem for the status quo by Irene Frances Olson
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader » 27 Jul 2018, 07:46

Nice review! I recently read and reviewed this one too, and it didn't occur to me that some of Toni's activities weren't typical "boy" things. Now that I notice it, I think the book is even better. Way to go Toni for stepping up and breaking stereotypes! That's an amazing superpower!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”