Review by Lynsyn -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lynsyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsyn.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Lynsyn -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Lynsyn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Len Foley wrote a children's book entitled Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!, a story that tells as to how a young boy’s search for why his book smells so bad. It is a hilarious story with pretty pictures, a fun play of words and rhymes, and a story that does not need a deep reflection since it is a book that any child can enjoy reading.

The illustrations and the art style itself of the storybook are incredibly funny and entertaining to look at, especially from the perspective of a kid. The artist seems like he drew the characters in the story, but only photoshopped and edited real-life objects and just injected it in the pages. The funny part is, that although the real objects and the illustrated characters don’t work out well together, in this case, it just seems so hilariously done. The colors used were vibrant with the right amount of saturation that does not harm your eyes whatsoever. The illustrations may look childish, but that’s what makes the child more interested in reading the story.

The rhymes in the story were well done. The author used simple words that can be understood by any kid with a good set of vocabulary and used those words to make a playful rhyming scheme. If I imagined myself to be a kid who just started out reading, I find those words that the author used to be easy to figure out and yet laugh at how he used it in the story. Reading is fun, but how the author used his rhymes and his play of words makes it funnier, and that makes the child enjoy the book more.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book even though I may not be fond of the children’s genre. It may be a simple story about a boy searching as to why his book smells, or that there was no profound message written between the lines, but I still find it an enjoyable read. This children’s book may be for children, but regardless of your age, reading is always fun.

I’ll give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The illustrations were eye-catching and fascinating to look at, as well as the funny poem-like structure of the book and its playful rhymes. I recommend this book to children, especially to those who just started out in school or to parents who love to read their child with these hilarious rhymes. The book does not teach much about moral lessons if that’s what you’re hoping for, but it introduces the children to the simple rhyme scheme and new words to increase the child’s vocabulary. Overall, this is a good children’s book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lynsyn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”