Official Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Scary Snow Day" by Kyle Derby Pratt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A large part of childhood involves learning new skills which can trigger a fear that may hinder kids from venturing into unknown territories. In her book The Scary Snow Day, author Kyle Derby Pratt addresses the subject of overcoming anxiety with bravery in a simplistic story about one boy's reluctance to sled down a hill.

The book is written in rhymes that tell the tale of Timmy who has been granted a day of freedom from school to go out and enjoy the avalanche of snow that has fallen overnight. His excitement turns to pensive thoughts as he considers sledding down the hill near his home. He imagines standing before a steep mountain, and this brings about panicky feelings. He wants to try it, but will his nerves get the best of him?

I liked how Timmy convinces himself to go despite his trepidation. No adults are encouraging him, so this teaches young readers that they can incorporate positive self-talk into their decision making. He experiences not only the mental distress beforehand but the physical reaction when his stomach starts 'twitching' just before he takes off. This introduces the idea that it is normal for our bodies to send out signals to indicate when we aren't comfortable in a situation. This vital detail would help children identify and be aware of what is happening internally during a tense circumstance and deal with it appropriately.

The illustrations and simple color choices are eye-catching. When the author used the word 'grim,' I wondered if kids would understand that, however, one glance at the character's eyes and facial expressions convey the meaning. Timmy looks sad and worried, so the pictures add connection and depth to the storyline.

With all of its great qualities, this book does have a few slight drawbacks. The rhyming loses some of its momenta. For example in this stanza: "He gets to the bottom, swishing to a stop. Smiling great big, he climbs back to the top." I wasn't sure I liked the phrase 'smiling great big' because it felt forced and didn't make good grammatical sense. There also seemed to be a slight misuse of tense. For instance in this sentence: "But he has to be brave. His fears he must face. He's going to do it, today of all days." The word 'has' would sound better as 'had.' As I was reading, I knew he was going to be successful, so to put the words into past tense means that he accomplished his goal. Lastly, I noticed the word 'so' was overused. I say all this with great caution because rhyming verses is not easy while trying to write a story that will have a valuable lesson at the end.

I read the material out loud numerous times as part of my review, and I would suggest that the author does this and listen for natural pauses. Instead of periods at the end of sentences and to keep the sentences flowing, using commas may be better for shorter stops. Because this is a poetic style of writing, there can be leniency and not strict adherence to standard punctuation. In essence, while I did not find any errors in spelling or punctuation, the smoothness of the rhymes needs to be attended to for more enjoyable readability.

With that said, I think this book would be a great addition to a classroom to teach young elementary age students how to cope with their emotions surrounding situations that are unfamiliar. An instructor could have a group discussion about worries, real or imagined, and how to have victory over them. This could open up many opportunities for kids to express how they feel through their own storytelling or picture drawing. In addition to this type of use, it could be easily added to a home library where a child and adult could enjoy the story one on one. This book does not seem to be geared for those who can independently read as the message is meant for a younger audience.

I thought the ending was fantastically creative, but I am not going to give it away. I am rating this a 3 out of 4 stars for the book's applicable moral and wonderful illustrations. With a slight sharpening of the rhymes, it could easily be a perfect score.

The Scary Snow Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea of this book. Fears are something that we are constantly overcoming in our lives. So, to teach children from a young age that it's okay to be afraid and how to overcome them would be very useful. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This could definitely be a beneficial book for children. There needs to be more books like this.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

AmySmiles wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 10:17 This could definitely be a beneficial book for children. There needs to be more books like this.
I agree with you! I had to just go through fear alone as a kid! So glad to see writers like this trying to help kids.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 10:02 I love the idea of this book. Fears are something that we are constantly overcoming in our lives. So, to teach children from a young age that it's okay to be afraid and how to overcome them would be very useful. Thanks so much!
It’s a good one. So fun to read with all the rhyming!
Delanta
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Delanta »

I loved the book fears can play a big role in a childs development in the world around them
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

The Scary Snow Day sounds like a fantastic book that addresses many difficult yet common issues and emotions children of every background face. I am particularly interested in exploring how Kyle Derby Pratt approaches children facing their fears on their own. This sounds like a book ideal for children dealing with any sort of fear great or small!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I love the lesson of this book! What a good resource for helping children to understand and overcome fears! I appreciate your careful consideration of the cadence of the rhymes in your review. Thanks for another great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Ayodelewizzy609
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ayodelewizzy609 »

it's really wonderful it could make children overcome fears and build confidence in them.Really great!!!!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

There needs to be more books like this. I love how thoughtful your review is, as if you're writing by 'standing in the skin of children and walking around in it' as Atticus would put it. The book is definitely inspirational. Thank you for the review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoyed the review and it helped me see the good qualities of this book. Reading this book with a youngster should help them come to terms with their fears and understand that they are normal things to experience.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a wonderful concept. I like that the book promotes positive self-talk so children know they can do things on their own and be self-motivated. Wonderful review.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Your review is so helpful and definitely makes me want to get this for my grandkids. Some are too old but to read it to the younger ones, or hearing me read to the littles, will let them get the message too. I like your noticing and mentioning the positive self-talk and the physical reactions to trepidation, makes me easily imagine helpful conversations as we read this together.

I just tried to read a sample on Amazon -- it's empty. It says Look Inside but all it shows is the front cover. That's okay though, your review is enough to know I want it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Amanda Deck wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 23:32 Your review is so helpful and definitely makes me want to get this for my grandkids. Some are too old but to read it to the younger ones, or hearing me read to the littles, will let them get the message too. I like your noticing and mentioning the positive self-talk and the physical reactions to trepidation, makes me easily imagine helpful conversations as we read this together.

I just tried to read a sample on Amazon -- it's empty. It says Look Inside but all it shows is the front cover. That's okay though, your review is enough to know I want it.
It’s such a short book that I think a sample would almost give it all away. I believe the author is a nurse, so I thought that her writing about not only the psychological aspect of fear but the physical part was so good! She really hit the nail on the head by speaking about both parts of anxiety. I think a lot of kids don’t know what to do with the symptoms..adults either! So it was nice to see an author take on the subject to start the discussion with kids to help them manage it when it manifests. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 19:14 What a wonderful concept. I like that the book promotes positive self-talk so children know they can do things on their own and be self-motivated. Wonderful review.
Thank you! It was a nice break from my usual genre. Good to see an author want to help children with fear.

Return to “Children's Books”