Official Review: Jamie Collins' Mystical Adventures: RING...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Re: Official Review: Jamie Collins' Mystical Adventures: RING...

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am intrigued that the plot happens all in one day. Interesting.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

teacherjh wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 21:50 I am intrigued that the plot happens all in one day. Interesting.
It’s definitely a pretty busy day 🙃
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Part of what I love and appreciate so much about this novel, is also what I think the latter part of the intended audience may find a bit constricting. Our middle-schoolers are already being exposed to epic battle scenes, and are experiencing the loss of beloved characters. The sheer positivity, and the almost gentle security, of this book may not be enough to hold their interests. On the other hand, this makes it ideal for the younger portion of the target age group. These budding fantasy readers can enjoy the incredible descriptions of fantastic worlds and mystical creatures without having to deal with the darker elements of this genre. Parents can rest assured that their child's imagination is being nourished while his or her innocence stays intact.
The fact that you're able to give us a parents perspective is invaluable. Many of us can read the book, but we're not so in touch with what kids like or dislike. I think you're right: older kids expect much more action-packed and violent scenes, but I believe "innocent" books like this one have their place and are very valuable.
Great review, thanks!

Return to “Children's Books”