Official Review: The Wizard of Tut Tut Bun

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Wizard of Tut Tut Bun

Post by dtb »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wizard of Tut Tut Bun" by John McCarrick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Wizard of Tut Tut Bun: Children's Fantasy by John McCarrick is a whimsical tale that takes place in and near the village of Tut Tut Bun. Each chapter is a story of adventure in a never-ending battle of good and evil. The stories follow the children who live in Tut Tut Bun and their friend, Billy Bottom. Billy Bottom is a wizard who lives in the nearby woods. He is friends with the children, trees, and animals and they work together to confront the threats and challenges that face those living in and around the village. Billy always has a plan to save the day when those who would take the village resources and threaten their happy way of life.

The design and color scheme of the cover has a mysterious feel. Billy Bottom is dressed in wizard garb and appears to be standing at the edge of a bank of purple clouds. He is absorbed by what he sees in a glowing orb he is holding with both hands. There are stacks of books and bottles that are illuminated by the glow. It shows that Billy Bottom is a wise and learned wizard who is able to see things we do not. This rings true in the stories as he makes action plans that he doesn’t fully explain, but the other characters follow Billy and do the tasks he sets for them. He is a great leader of the team and fosters cooperation.

The world that McCarrick has created feels big and is full of fantastical creatures. Each chapter has an action-driven story that involves teamwork and problem-solving. The children and Billy cooperate to save the valley from the evil outsiders who would take their resources and solve complex problems. They face threats, but they also have fun and solve problems that are less dire. For example, they bring the seashore to a friend who can’t get to it by himself.

The Wizard of Tut Tut Bun: Children's Fantasy is intended for young readers, and I think it is best suited to that audience. The stories sometimes felt a little bit redundant, and I think the book would benefit from an editor or additional structure. The stories have ample opportunities for illustrations, and I found myself wanting to see small drawings of the creatures such as the Pink Gulls and the Munga instead of the same wand and star combination that was repeated for each chapter.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were some minor typographical issues, but the book had a quick pace and lots of action. The various creatures were unique, and each brought a particular set of challenges for the characters to overcome. Because the chapters can stand on their own, this book could be read in part or in its entirety, and each would be satisfying.

The Wizard of Tut Tut Bun
View: on Bookshelves

Like dtb's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

I'm not into wizard kinda books, or supernatural fiction in general. By your finely written review however, I see it is a fun mix of the supernatural and mystery. That is a nice combination and young readers who love this genres would enjoy it.
Well done!
bookierme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bookierme »

This ought to be very intriguing for its intended audience. I love the cover. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This book sounds fun! I like that it's broken up into stories, so you could read one per day, say, at bedtime. I was also disappointed to find out that there are no illustrations - that would have been great. Good review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

A mix of adventure, mystery and suspense, sounds like great fun for kids to read. Thanks for the fantastic review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The whimsical chapters sound perfect for bedtime stories. Too bad that more illustrations were not included. I enjoyed your review!
misatifelix
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misatifelix.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by misatifelix »

Mystery blended with adventure is perfect read after dinner. This book is not for the faint-hearted though.

Return to “Children's Books”