Official Review: Prince Oliver Penguin and his Friend, Ol...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Official Review: Prince Oliver Penguin and his Friend, Ol...

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prince Oliver Penguin and his Friend, Olivia" by Shirley Read-Jahn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prince Oliver Penguin and His Friend, Olivia by Shirley Read-Jahn is a children’s book written for kids between the ages of five and seven. In the story, Olivia and her family move from England to the Falkland Islands for her father’s work. When she gets there, she meets a king penguin. This king penguin comes to her house to see her so often that he eventually becomes her pet. She names him Prince Oliver. The two are inseparable and will be friends forever. Or will they? You’ll have to read this tale that was inspired by a true story to find out.

I really enjoyed this book. The pictures throughout the book were cute and really matched the story. They helped move the book along. I think any child that reads this book will enjoy the images. I was also impressed that the author did all of the illustrations herself. If this is pointed out to the kids that read it, I think it could definitely be inspiring for them!

Not only were the pictures great, this book was also very well-written. I only noticed a couple of minor errors within the book. I really appreciate that the author took the time to make sure that the writing was edited. The story also flowed nicely and was written at the perfect level for the intended age group. Well-written books are so important for children to read since they are at a critical stage of learning. This author really did a great job with the writing.

The only aspect I could possibly see kids having trouble with when reading the book is the formatting of the pictures. They are interspersed fairly randomly throughout the story instead of having a picture on each page. However, I think if it is explained to children that this is a book with pictures not necessarily a picture book, any problem with it could be avoided. Because of the formatting, the book could also be used to transition children into books that don’t have pictures.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The only issue I saw with the book wasn’t enough to take away a star. The story was cute and well-written. I would not hesitate to hand this to my Godchildren to read, and I tend to be picky about which books I’ll actually read with them. I would recommend this book to anyone with children or to any adult who just wants a cute short story to read. I can’t think of a single person who wouldn’t enjoy this book.

Prince Oliver Penguin and his Friend, Olivia
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jovico567
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jovico567 »

great review! I think I agree with everything written about the book it's quite interesting not only for the kids even adult can as well read enjoy it, it is borh entertaining and instructive
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Nice review. Although I am adult, I enjoy children's book and cartoons. I would like to read this one in the future.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

The book sounds like an adorable story. As a child, I used to love books that had little pictures in between the text. Got to admire the author to write the story and do the illustrations.

Thanks for the great review on this book.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This looks like a sweet children's book for the recommended age. Thanks for a great review!
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The cover pulls us toward the book. Such a cute story!

Return to “Children's Books”