Review by HailKingEbi -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by HailKingEbi -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by HailKingEbi » 10 Jul 2018, 19:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni is Terrific! He can fly!.

Toni The Superhero is easily one of the most unique and pleasurable children's books I've ever read. It is a pleasant children's book that dwells on Toni, a young super-powered superhero who enjoys mundane activities.

Written by R.D Base and accompanied with colorful illustrations by the very talented Debbie Hefke, it is narrated in the benign voice that is commonplace in children books and the illustrations are superbly consistent. A mother of three young boys herself, R.D Base understands the desire of children to be superheroes and in Toni The Superhero, she eloquently spreads the message that superheroes can be human too. Human activities like sweeping, or helping around the house are not beyond them.

What I like most about the book is the fun, bright colors. It is guaranteed to draw attention to it. The cover alone which features dear Toni is an attention magnet. Toni is always smiling, even when doing ordinary things. He teaches children to have a positive outlook and interacts happily with his friends. The author successfully places Toni The Superhero in a class of its own with the ease and simplicity of a good story. She proves that less can indeed be more.

However, I do think the book should have been more interactive. The children should be asked questions in a manner reminiscent of children shows like Dora the explorer or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I would suggest one of those lift-the-flap books, to encourage active participation. Unfortunately, I didn't like the font. It was too small and inconspicuous for a children's book. One would expect big, bold, fonts for a book of it's nature. It would help in teaching children their alphabets, and they could voice the sounds and develop their pronunciation and reading skills.

I recommend the book to every parent/guardian. It is a unique, satisfying story with proper moral guidance for children. The author's use of plain and understandable words ensures that the book achieved its goal and suits the intended audience. I found no mistakes in the book. Children will undoubtedly find Toni a role model worth emulating.

The book offers superb moral instruction for children, encouraging them to be like Toni. Toni is cool, he's a superhero. Little wonder Toni The Superhero is the OnlineBookClub Book of the Month for July 2018. I give Toni The Superhero a well deserved rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Toni is helpful and well-behaved so he'll make the perfect character worthy of hero worship by children. Parents/guardians and children alike will definitely appreciate R.D Base's book, and children everywhere will want to be like Toni The Superhero.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like HailKingEbi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kibetious » 13 Jul 2018, 00:13

This is a very nice review. I like how you are able to bring out your view on this book. Indeed, the book is able to make a superhero more relatable and more associated with some basic and daily activities that have for a long time not been included as having been important. Thanks a lot.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

HailKingEbi

Post by HailKingEbi » 23 Jul 2018, 17:03

You're welcome! and thanks! byt really it's all R. D Base's work. The book is fun! You forget you're not a child while reading it!.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.

Dragonfly6
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Dragonfly6 » 23 Jul 2018, 20:26

A children's book with a superhero who is special because of the everyday things he does? That sounds like a brilliant story to me! It is so important to have positive role models, examples and teaching opportunities for children. This seems like one of those books. Thanks for the stellar review!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

HailKingEbi

Post by HailKingEbi » 19 Aug 2018, 02:40

you're welcome!
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”