Review by Red_Rose -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Red_Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-red-rose.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Red_Rose -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Red_Rose »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero By: R.D. Base
I gave this book a 4 out of 4.

I really enjoyed this book. I read it with my soon to be 3 year old son and my 1 year old. My 3 year old was able to repeat the words after me, which is a big deal because he has a speech delay and will be joining preschool this September. What I also appreciated was that the hero was of color. I don't see too many books that portray that. My son is half black and I'd like for him to see more families and children of color in a positive light.

The colors and illustration was very good. A superhero that still does day to day activities. Dusting, doing dishes, helping mom around the house, playing with friends. He's just like us even though he's a superhero. I do like his name Toni because it's also simple and easy to remember. So when my son sees him, he says "Toni, Toni."

Since the activities that Toni does are everyday things we do, my son is more than happy to help me when I'm doing dishes or sweeping up a room. It teaches him to read and speak, responsibility by cleaning up around the house. Teaching a 3 year old to clean up after himself is sometimes tough. It helps when you have a Superhero like Toni cleaning up because what boy doesn't want to be a superhero? Being able to see dishes in the sink and say "dishes" shows that the book does help kids in their day to day.

It also teaches him the colors. Since the drawings are so clear I can point out colors that he likes. My 1 year old son also enjoyed seeing the colors and drawings. The colors easily captured his attention which made him focus, and that is hard for a 1 year old to do. The illustration was so clear on what Toni was doing that you could tell what he was doing before you even read the sentence. My 3 year old can point to the picture and guess what he's doing before even reading the sentence.

The words were simple enough for both my kids to understand what's going on. My 3 year old easily repeated what I'd read. The simple sentences are a great choice. Toni is easy to relate to. I appreciate that my child wants to help clean up his toys because that's what superheros do! It's a great book to read with children. Not only at home but I think teachers could greatly benefit from this with their students as well.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Red_Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”