Review by ejgl80 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ejgl80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejgl80.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by ejgl80 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by ejgl80 » 09 Jul 2018, 01:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base is a short read about a boy named Toni who, despite his having superpowers, likes to do normal everyday things. It gives significance to developing a well-rounded personality for children as it includes actions where Toni participates in outdoor group activities, does creative things on his own, reads, and helps with chores. The story covers ordinary activities a child would be engaged in, making it very relatable on the part of children reading the book.

This book is great for bedtime storytelling or for reading time with young kids. The words are simple and the sentences are repetitive. This makes it good for those who are still learning how to read or those who need to improve in this aspect. The words used do not contain confusing letter sounds which is a common problem for beginners.

The illustrations by Debbie Hefke are very attractive and can really capture the attention of a child. The vibrant colors are present in every page. The scenes drawn in each situation are realistic and detail-oriented. For example, there are many pictures of Toni hanging in their living room wall. Also, Toni is standing on a chair when he is helping with the dishes. “Just like me!” was my son’s comment when he saw this.

I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars as I and my kids loved it. My toddler enjoyed the colorful illustrations that perfectly depicted what the story line was about. He would fill in the sentences just by looking at the drawings. It is a great way to expand their vocabulary. Having my preschooler read through the book also allowed me to check her reading skills progress. Her favorite part of the story is seeing how Toni likes to help other people.

This children’s book is ideal for parents with kids below six years old. This can introduce small kids to the wonderful world of books and can teach toddlers the basics of reading such as making the letter sounds, as many of the words used are short and simple. This can also develop existing reading skills in children who have just learned to do so. However, using this book for older kids would not be recommended since they will want more than what is in the story. A great sequel to this book would be to make different story lines that would highlight different letter combinations and letter sounds.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like ejgl80's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”