Review by lesler -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by lesler -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by lesler » 08 Jul 2018, 10:11

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base is a delightful children's book which chronicles the life of Toni, a young boy living his best life every day. This is a book intended as a fun tool for young children to learn how to read and is designed perfectly for this purpose. The illustrations are vibrant and contribute greatly to the story. This book perfectly models good habits for young readers, such as being kind to animals, eating healthy food, and doing household chores. Toni the superhero does these daily tasks with a neat cape on, encouraging the reader to feel like a superhero in doing these chores.

As a teacher who has spent a considerable amount of time helping young children learn how to read in the Kindergarten classroom, this book is excellent. The kids would be drawn to this book for its wonderful illustrations and would enjoy learning about Toni. A lot of the early reader books we use in the classroom are very outdated, and this is an excellent modern version of the early reader books. I love the word choices with the important element of repetition crucial for reading development.

I love the conscious choice made for Toni to be a young African-American male. Toni is a relatable type of role model that my students will love learning about and will try to model what he does. The daily chores that Toni does and food choices he makes are something that my students can absolutely relate to, and this book will be an excellent topic of discussion. I wish this book was around when my own boys were learning how to read. This is would be an excellent supplement to the Golden Books series, for those young emergent readers.

I was excited to see that the end of this book there was the promise that Toni would be part of a series, with other books. It is apparent that other topics covered would be about Toni liking vegetables, Toni saving the day in some sort of way, and Toni liking to read. I'm especially excited about the book about enjoying reading. If a child enjoys reading, his or her life is opened to so many more opportunities, and this is a crucial aspect of their learning development. I'm glad these books will soon be made available to help the child enjoy learning how to read.

I give Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars, for its excellent reading flow, wonderful word choice, and spectacular accompanying illustrations. I recommend this book to any teacher or parent with a student or child learning how to read.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!

RainSilverio82
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RainSilverio82 » 19 Jul 2018, 12:11

I like lesler's review, makes me want to buy and read the book myself. Though I'm already 32, and I had no children, but I believe that everyone of us are still young at heart, just lurking in the corner. I also believe that this book will be fun to read, for all ages.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”