Review by starlight79 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
starlight79
Currently Reading: The Phillip Dick Reader
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starlight79.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by starlight79 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by starlight79 » 08 Jul 2018, 09:43

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero

Today, I read Toni the Superhero. This book is a great book for emergent readers. It focuses on the many things that a normal child, who just happens to be a superhero, might like to do. It follows Toni through his daily activities that include fun and play as well as healthful things such as eating and helping his mom. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was an excellent book that successfully completed its goal of encouraging reading in young readers.

The book is written on the level of young learners and is clearly geared for parent-child interaction. I read it with my daughter who just turned three years-old. She was very engaged and excitedly asked to read it a second time herself. The simple structure, repetition of the word and leading pictures helped her to understand the content and make connections with the text.

I found the content engaging and age appropriate. As a teacher, of struggling readers and a mother of two young children, finding the right combination of content and reading level is often hard. This book seemed well balanced to provide the support needed at this level. I especially liked that the main character was a boy who makes good choices to do multiple activities. Most children can find things they have in common with Toni and building a connection to prior knowledge is very important at this level of reading. In many ways, Toni is a regular boy who just makes super choices while having fun and doing chores and young readers can connect to him on many levels.

Another facet of the book, that I really enjoyed, was the progression of activities throughout the day. Toni is introduced and then he has a super day doing activities along the way. His day begins with his introduction and then all the things he regularly does. Since, this book is geared as an introduction to Toni, it explores many of the diverse activities kids enjoy. He also does some things kids might not like such as sweeping and sleeping. The daily progression of activities through a typical kids’ day helps to reinforce normal life and learning patterns.

There were very few things about the book that I did not enjoy. However, I would suggest slightly more division of the content, especially in the beginning of the book, where Toni is doing more than one thing at once. The connection of some of the pictures might cause some confusion among new learners. I would also like to see introduction of more characters in later books so we can distinguish the other people seen in the book, perhaps, Toni’s mom and specific friends.

Overall, Toni is a Superhero is a great addition to any children’s library. I will surely read it again to my children. The vivid pictures, flowing content and simple sentences are all helpful for children learning basic sight words and also to impart the love of reading. I look forward to sharing the future adventures of Toni with my children and others as well.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like starlight79's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”