Review by Britty01 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Britty01
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading: A Day in Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Britty01 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Britty01 » 07 Jul 2018, 23:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R. D. Base is a children’s book with a 0 – 4 years target age range.

The bright, colorful illustrations have a positive feel to them. Some are laid out as double-page spreads. Children love these, and this book has a variety of beautifully crafted illustrations. Who didn’t love a book that had a center page that was one large picture when they were a child?

Toni is a charming, happy, and helpful boy. I recognized him to represent a sympathetic character. It is quite a skill when an illustrator can portray an image in such a way that they seem to come to life. In the pages of this book, we see Toni enjoying a range of activities; having fun, playing with friends, helping with chores and doing a variety of things that he likes.

There many things that I appreciate about this book.

It helps train children that a hero represents being kind and helpful. It also demonstrates cooperation and acceptance amongst diverse ethnic groups. Our superhero’s name Toni is gender neutral.

Children are visual readers and love to invest time looking at pictures. The text flows well with each illustration. The pictures of Toni can guide a child into becoming a self-sufficient adult. It helps a child to form an appreciation for art. It helps them understand the world around them. Visual art is a universal language and fosters good communication, as well as providing pleasure to a young child. The person sharing the book with the child could add their own story. When the child is ready, they could do likewise.

It is amazing how quickly they pick up new words. I learned that when I had the pleasure of teaching a friend’s child to read. Few things compare to the enjoyment of seeing a child’s face brighten when he/she recognizes they have learned a new word.

Toni cares about animals. This emphasizes compassion for other living things and helps the child grow into a responsible adult.

It can be used as a game. I noticed the cover shows Toni with all the items that are to be found within the book. I think a little one would enjoy being able to point out a particular item when he/she observes it in the book.

It can also be used as teaching tool for developing the art of conversation, facilitating the young person to learn socialization skills. A parent or caretaker could demonstrate to the developing child how we encounter unfamiliar people and get to know more about them as a person.

It teaches a child good eating habits. If their Superhero likes vegetables and fruit, why shouldn't they give them a try?

Parents tend to like books that include bedtime. It is a convenient method to employ in getting the child ready for sleep. I expect they will like the other aspects of this book also, as it teaches some valuable lessons in a subtle way.

The author, R. D. Base and the illustrator have put effort into the production of this book. It takes time and planning to place text on an illustrated page so that both fit well. I hope the upcoming book in the series builds on what to me, represents an excellent start.

I feel the book is well edited. There was nothing I could fault with this book. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Britty01's review? Post a comment saying so!

Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby » 20 Jul 2018, 17:07

Well done picking out all of the pros for this book! It sounds like younger children could really benefit from having it read to them. Nice review :)

Morgan Jones
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Of Free Will And Providence by Chip Byers

Post by Morgan Jones » 25 Jul 2018, 05:33

A great review! My younger brother absolutely loved this read so thank you for recommending it!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”