Review by WonderfulWonder17 -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WonderfulWonder17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonderfulwonder17.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: iPhone

Review by WonderfulWonder17 -- Toni the Superhero

Post by WonderfulWonder17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is an amazing story for kids aged between zero to four. I work in a daycare and I read the book to my kids; they sat down quietly and listened intently to the book, (they never do that! A few even repeated the words I had read to them a couple times.) The main premise of the book is about a young superhero who does supernatural things but also has normal kid aspects. It really shows that any child can be a superhero in his or her own right. He may be able to save animals from trees and fly, but he also helps his mother and enjoys reading.

I enjoyed how it was so simple to understand, easy for younger readers to pick and read by themselves. It's a great book for parents to start their kids off reading with. It will lead to a long life of reading. The only thing that I disliked about this book was the fact that it was so short. Not that I expected it to be longer (being a children’s book and everything) but I just wish the author would have shown more of Toni being a superhero. Sure, he was shown helping out animals and flying, but where was the invisibility, the mind-reading ability? Maybe it's just me being nitpicky, but I would have enjoyed seeing more superhero elements.

A part that I really enjoyed was the part where it said that Toni enjoys sweeping. In my mind, Toni can't be more than six or seven and he already enjoys sweeping? That is a task that I still do not enjoy being at the humble age of seventeen. It's nice to see that a young child would enjoy sweeping whereas a teenager dislikes it. One thing that I disliked the most about this story was the superhero aspects. I mentioned this earlier in a previous paragraph, but I would have liked to see more elements of Toni being a superhero. Again, that could just me being nitpicky. Most children probably won't care about this little detail.

I would rate this book a 4/4. It's a simple read for young children and their parents. Readers who will enjoy this most are daycare teachers and parents. A nice bedtime story or a nice book to read during reading time. I gave this book a 4 out of 4 because kids will love it. I loved it and I'm a teenager. Teenagers and adults will not enjoy reading this book. It's too much of a children’s book that most older people will not read.

To me, the book feels professionally edited, but the words are so easy to read that a middle schooler could edit it. That's not a bad thing either! There were no spelling errors in the entire book and I loved the entire thing. Toni the Superhero was a fun read and I really want to read more from the author about her family.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like WonderfulWonder17's review? Post a comment saying so!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

My brother is 8 years old and he really enjoyed this book. He really liked reading about Toni's adventures (and so did I!) Thank you for the great review!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”