Official Review: Oggy Goes Shell Shopping by Felicia Sais

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Oggy Goes Shell Shopping by Felicia Sais

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Oggy Goes Shell Shopping" by Felicia Sais.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Oggy is a turtle in his fifties, and like many of us can attest to with age, some things about him aren't in the best shape. This is especially true of Oggy's shell, an old, tattered, plain, beaten up shell that he's had since hatching. His wife has been trying for years to convince him to get a new one, but Oggy worries that getting a new shell will make him forget all the wonderful memories he and his shell have made over the last 50+ years. To make the transition a bit easier, he decided to reach out to his best friend Rand, who has gotten numerous new shells over the years. Rand takes him to a giant store to pick one out, and Oggy learns that maybe getting a new shell isn't such a bad thing after all.

When I first saw Oggy Goes Shell Shopping by Felicia Sais I was really intrigued by how a turtle buying a shell would work as a children's book. Maybe it was that element of curiosity and lack of expectation that led to Felicia blowing me away with this book! The metaphor of getting a new shell is perfect for all sorts of situations. Are you moving? If Oggy could get a new shell and not lose his old memories, so can your child(ren)! Maybe your kid has a favorite outfit or toy that they can't live without. Oggy not only lets go of his old shell, he learns that there's a big world of newness out there, and that letting go can actually be an improvement! So many children's books teach a single lesson, which can be really helpful in specific circumstances, but Oggy's experience is applicable to countless situations that all kids eventually go through.

The writing itself is also wonderful. There are rhymes on most pages, but they never feel forced or oddly phrased. Oggy may be older and more reptilian than most children, but he's still very relatable with his nervousness about letting go of his old shell. Heck, even as an adult I reluctantly let go of things. I literally had the entire sole of my shoe come off once at work, and at the time I delivered furniture and appliances! We stubborn folks don't want to let go of what we know works for us, but just like Oggy, we eventually learn that things can be so much better.

While Felicia does a terrific job with the writing, Mike Ferrin really delivered on the art. These are full-page hand-created pieces of art, and it walks a fine line between cartoon and comic. The triangle glasses on Oggy's wife are reminiscent of Rocko's Modern Life, and the facial expressions are glorious on every page. Oggy has a great deal of personality, and his taped-up, suspender-clad shell is hysterical. Felicia and Mike really came together well on this book and both the art and the writing expertly compliment one another.

Oggy Goes Shell Shopping has no recommended age on Amazon, but I'd recommend it for early readers all the way through those learning to read longer books on their own. There's a fair balance of bigger words and basics, although none of the words are any kind of difficult for parents to explain. My rating of Oggy Goes Shell Shopping is 4 out of 4 stars, and I truly have no complaints. The book is short and sweet, has a fantastic lesson, had no errors or formatting issues, and had both solid writing and art. The book is also cute enough that I'd recommend it to older children who may not be into children's books anymore but are having a tough time letting go of a childhood home, an old bike, a favorite outfit or a treasured stuffed animal.

Oggy Goes Shell Shopping
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

this made me smile. I think this will be a good book for everyone who loves good work of art and good story to compliment it. I love the moral of the story. thanks. your review is well written. :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the book already! The cover is cute, and the summary you gave sounds fabulous. It sounds like it'd be great for children who are about to have a major life change in one way or another. Thanks so much for showing us this fabulous book!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

This book sounds truly delightful and a novel way to help young children adjust to change in their lives. A beautiful descriptive review from CataclysmicKnight.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like an awesome book. I too have trouble letting go of things, so perhaps I could use the lesson. I also like the idea of seeing Oggy's beat-up and taped shell; just picturing it in my head is making me laugh... Thanks for the wonderful review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

A creative story with beautiful art that teaches a lesson, too? Sounds like a delightful children's book. Great review!
AJamie
Favorite Book: The Smart One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by AJamie »

It sounds like a book that can teach both the old and young a lesson or two. Thanks for the wonderful review
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Love the cover already. Very unique children's book. I like the theme that you just described. Sounds like a great book.
Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This sounds like a book that would be great for me! I can have a tough time letting go, so maybe I need to read this one with my kids. :D
Educational
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Educational »

Oggy Goes Shell Shopping by Felicia Sais is an interesting book I feel like reading it again and again with my Kids :D
_am_meg_02_06_19_87_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by _am_meg_02_06_19_87_ »

This book reminds me of some old saying that:
" there's nothing wrong to have changes in life as long as it is good for you or for everybody who's sorrounds you...changes in life makes us worthy..but some changes makes us misserable... Some teach us to learn from a mistake and stand for a second chance... Changes is good...but dont forget some good and memorable past in life... Bring it while changing...it will help us to face new life...
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This sounds hilarious and to add to it, there is a teachable moment. Change is inevitable, and instead of being scared of it, we should be able to embrace it. It doesn't come easily but its something we do get used to with time. Great review!
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
nieshastroops
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nieshastroops »

Cute, and read that teaches one how to embrace things out of our control is a plus.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The story sounds funny and exciting. Nice review!

Return to “Children's Books”