Review by Mjgarrison -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mjgarrison
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: message in the bottle
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjgarrison.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Review by Mjgarrison -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mjgarrison » 01 Jul 2018, 23:30

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni The Superhero is the first book in its series. It’s about a superhero and all the ordinary activities he enjoys doing. The book shows him enjoying all sorts of activities such as, reading, animal rescue, drawing, playing running, jumping, chores…. and the list goes on. It has uncomplicated and repetitive text to aid in early reading skills, as well as vibrant and exciting illustrations to keep children engaged. The illustrations also coincide with the text, providing a visual aid for the new words that are not repeated throughout. I can definitely envision children enjoying this book so much that they will be role playing the different parts of the story while pretending they are Toni for hours.

Being a teacher, I enjoy all the various learning possibilities brought forth in this book. It encourages early reading skills, helping with chores, eating healthy and getting enough sleep, creativity, fun ways to get exercise, and compassion for animals. I also liked the fact that it was multicultural and one culture didn’t seem to be portrayed as better than any other culture. They were just there as different parts of the storyline. You might find your children thinking, if a superhero enjoys doing these activities I want to do them too.

I did not find any editing mistakes throughout the whole book. As I said before, it has an extremely simple text base, but the purpose behind that is to build early reading skills. It was a well written story inspired by the author’s family. You will discover throughout the story that she loves children and wants to inspire them as much as she’s been inspired.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as a result of the various learning possibilities, the flawlessness in which it was written and the vibrant illustrations that will keep the children wanting to read it again and again.

I recommend this book to children 3-7 years of age. It is perfect for children that are just beginning to read as well as children that have been reading for just a short while. It would also be a perfect addition to a preschool library, although I would recommend getting a few copies since this one is going to be a class favorite. So bring out the capes and prepare your child for a great adventure as you become superheroes together in this wonderful book. I can’t wait to find out what other adventures Toni enjoys as the rest of the series comes out.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mjgarrison's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”