Review by simplexitic -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
simplexitic
Currently Reading: We're Going to Need More Wine
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplexitic.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by simplexitic -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by simplexitic » 28 Jun 2018, 18:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero, an early childhood story written by R.D. Base, is the first book in a series of superhero stories. Toni, our protagonist in this delightful tale, shows us a glimpse into what the life of a superhero looks like behind the scenes. From reading to dancing to running, this athletic, loveable character enjoys quite the joyful life. The book itself is a short and succinct story that will surely be a great start for any adventurous toddler whose eager to learn how to read.

I loved the concept of this book. Mrs. Base, the author, stated that her target audience was children between the ages of zero and four. By writing Toni the Superhero, she sought to put together something that would assist little babies and toddlers in the reading process. This, in and of itself, is a commendable act. And while I did enjoy the simple sentence structure, I couldn’t help but feel like some of the words were a bit advanced. The story included “complex” grammatical rules such as long vowel sounds, vowel digraphs and words with the silent “e.” In my opinion, given the age range, these words should’ve been saved for one of the later books. More basic words could’ve been used instead.

The illustrations were absolutely gorgeous, though, which is key for a children’s book. The vibrancy and detail of the pictures have the ability to either maintain interest or completely eradicate it, especially with younger readers. Debbie Hefke, the illustrator, did a terrific job of bringing Mrs. Base’s words to life. She displayed each and every scene in a way that was both colorful and entertaining for those who read it.

All things considered, I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 4. More specifically, I would rate it a 3.5 simply for the same reason that I previously stated (challenging words). Altogether, I didn’t encounter any sentences that were difficult to read or seemed out of place with the rest of the book. Everything blended together quite nicely.

If you’re a parent, a guardian or an educator looking for an entertaining children’s story to read to your kids, this is definitely a solid pick. However, if you prefer a book that’s more suitable for children who are new to phonics, then this probably isn’t the book for you. Regardless of intent, this is definitely a lovely story that would be a nice addition to any early childhood learner’s bookshelf.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like simplexitic's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”