Official Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Re: Official Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for the review. Like yourself, it never would have occurred to me that there were books about happiness out there aimed at kids. Also, the illustrations and rhymes look appropriate (and diverse), but I am afraid that I will not read this book since it is not meant for me.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

Seems like a lovely children’s book with a variety of beneficial themes. The effortless rhyming is a nice touch, also the guides at the end.
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

Teaching strategies for finding peace early is so essential so it develops the building blocks for self. The ego is so closely tied to our sense of self and since it is developed from an early age it is important to integrate peaceful strategies into young people’s lives. As mentioned in the review, children are inundated with external stresses that seek to disturb their peace so establishing those tools early will allow young people to come to depend on their inner peace as they grow older. Additionally, incorporating the parents’ participation in cultivating peace is crucial as well for their own peace and for the peace for their children as well. This book presents as an excellent multi-cultural, multi-generational tool.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

This book.sounds very unique and original. Many times as adult we overlook the fact that kids have busy lives as well and can get stressed what a great concept.for.a children's book.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

A children's book focused on finding peace, chocked-full of real life characters, and backed up by solid rhyming, is rare and refreshing in the current library of children's literature.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I like how inclusive the book is with the children from all ethnicities and situations.

This will help children who are dealing with stress from family situations, school situations and often an unkind world.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I also liked the sing-song quality of the words, it made the message unforgettable and it was also relaxing just to read. I like that the book has many diverse characters. It is a wonderful children's book. Thank you for your great review.
giftdrell
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by giftdrell »

Its a nice book, mostly its an inspiration to all and kids
It help them grow spiritually
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book sounds really neat. I like that it gives kids so many ways to reclaim peace in their varied lives.
chuckdsharp
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuckdsharp.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by chuckdsharp »

I am excited to read this book with my children. I was surprised the review spoke about the illustrations. This really makes me want to start the book now.
Leb7
Favorite Book: Where the Red Fern Grows
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leb7.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Leb7 »

A book to help children find peace is certainly an original idea. It could be worth the read.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I think this is something kids can use for sure. I know I needed a whole lot of peace when I was growing up. Ironically, I found my peace in the novels I read. For those moments being engrossed fully in the pages of my book..I was "at home".."peaceful". The review mentioned a journal in the book. "The "Peace Journal" is also especially neat; it's a scrapbook that's left somewhere easily accessible for everyone in the family so they can add moments of peace, and then once it's full it's put on a bookshelf and another is started" it made me smile because I do something similar to this now, except it is a glass blessing jar. We are to put all of our blessings in the jar as we receive them and when we are down or feeling lost, we are to read what's in the jar until we have our strength back. Knowing God has been taking care of us is a comfort to know we will get through it. I will read this one just because peace was so important as a child, when I could get it..I'd like to see the examples shared in this book.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I like that there are characters who are different from usual kids and also that the characters are multicultural. I think that it helps children become more open-minded. The content at the end for parents sounds like a very good idea, although I do agree that it seems a bit out of place.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Between the beautiful illustrations and the diversity of the children represented, this book sounds like a winner. It's nice to see the author took the time to address such a topic with a younger audience, as today's youth are bogged down by stressors, many of which adults can't comprehend. Great review.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

Fantastic review! I was also blown away by the beautiful artwork. In my quick read through I noticed the parents’ section at the back but from what you’re said, I’ll have to check it out.

Return to “Children's Books”