Official Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Can See Peace" by Julie Penshorn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Over my lifetime I've read numerous books about finding peace and heard about all sorts of strategies and tactics for living a peaceful, calm and happy life. It never occurred to me that kids might need peace in their lives too! Many of us look back at our childhoods wishing we were back to such laid back, irresponsible, carefree childhoods, but between homework, learning to socialize with strangers at school and family issues, children need to find peace just like all the rest of us!

I Can See Peace is an illustrated children's book aimed, according to Amazon, at children aged 4-18. It shows various boys and girls finding peace everywhere in life, from playing at the beach to spending time with family or pets. Like in real life, soon the children's peace is interrupted by bullies, nature and even that otherwise-peaceful family when drama happens. But these kids are resilient and determined to find peace, so they once again discover it wherever they can.

When I first saw I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn I was expecting it to be an ordinary illustrated children's book. I was surprised when I saw the rhymes were so smooth, effortless and sing-songy that I almost didn't even realize lines rhymed! The art was also lovely, and unlike most illustrated books there was a wide range of types of art in the book. The book is also about as multicultural as possible, with boys and girls of various ethnicities. Not only that, there's a girl in a wheelchair and another is bald in a hospital bed. There are images at the farm, at the beach, in the woods and in a city. There's something for pretty much everyone to relate to here, and that's something I greatly appreciate in a book that's focused on not only finding peace for oneself but for using peace to improve the world.

As I said, the art is exceptional in this book. Illustrator Jeanine-Jonee Keith filled the book with full page illustrations of emotional children and all sorts of events. Some seem handmade while others seem to be made with the help of a computer. Nearly all of the pages are spectacular, and many of them are so great I could easily see them as poster prints to go along with the book as reminders all over a child's walls.

After the story there's a section for parents, and while it's only a few pages long it's packed full of content. The first one is the only thing that seemed a little out of place in the book as it basically explains why this book is something kids should read. Although some of this was beneficial, some of it felt a little weird being advertised to after reading the children's book, and it's way too far into the book for any samples to display it. Following this are several fantastic sections for helping kids focus on peace and find it everywhere in life just like the children in the book. For example, one section teaches parents how to play the "I Spy Something Peaceful" game. As you may have guessed, it's a twist on I Spy where someone says they spy something peaceful and everyone tries to guess what it is, and then they explain why it's peaceful to them. The "Peace Journal" is also especially neat; it's a scrapbook that's left somewhere easily accessible for everyone in the family so they can add moments of peace, and then once it's full it's put on a bookshelf and another is started. There are also a bunch of discussion questions at the end of the activities. Discussion questions are usually boring even as an adult, but these really illuminate a lot of details throughout the book, and are far from the standard basic questions. They encourage creativity, learning and reflection, and made me want to read through the book again looking for several of the things I missed.

I Can See Peace was a surprise hit. I loved the writing, I loved the activities at the back and I loved the artwork. I also loved that I was easily able to see and read the book even on my small iPhone 5S, although the text after the story is considerably smaller and required zooming in, so I'd at least recommend a Kindle or tablet for that section. I didn't see any errors, and I can easily see parents wanting to re-read this to their children, or children looking back at it when they're in need of calming down. My rating of I Can See Peace is 4 out of 4 stars

I Can See Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

It seems to be an original book and aleo a helpful one for kids who indeed seem to want to know about peace and spirituality.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I've always had a fondness for children's books. Beautiful illustrations make such a difference. This looks like a sweet story that children and adults like me, will love. Thanks for your great review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Children are humans too. They have emotions such as love, peace, fears, etc. We should strive to make them happy but sensible and respectful. Thank you for a great review.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

The book sounds real neat. Seems very original. That's nice that the book also provides further advice for the parents after the story is done.
:techie-studyingbrown:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It’s great that this book offers something for almost anyone to relate to. It sounds practical and helpful. Unfortunately, many kids today are forced to grow up too fast and could benefit from some guidance on how to find peace. Thanks for your thorough review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I like books like this that every child can relate to. It's new to me that children crave peace too. It looks like a great book for kids, especially with the pictures and rhymes. Thanks for this.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Kkevinofficial
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kkevinofficial »

This would be a great way to show children how to make peace. Kids these day are always making everything bad. For instance, racism, sexism, and more is all bad effects on this world.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I never thought of children needing peace either. I could see this book being used at a Sunday school classroom or nusery. Great review by the way.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I agree with your opinion that children need peace too. It appears to me that the illustration must be exceptionally good because the book is multicultural and it seems to conveyed peace as a universal thing, if you know what I mean.

I find that most of the times, children's book serve as an eye opening to me. So this book will be one of them that I will get my hands on. Great review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that teaches kids to be happy and find inner peace sounds helpful. It is good that the book not only teaches kids to find inner peace, but also shows them how to improve the world. Smooth rhymes, lively illustrations, and activities that encourage creativity make this a good read. I love that the book is multicultural. That the book is well edited is another plus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I appreciate the author's writing and the inclusion of activities at the end of the book. Thanks for the candid and the insightful review.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

A good children book about peace and spirituality. The book teaches children to be happy and find inner peace. Such a great read! Nice review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Kids always seem so carefree, but I remember experiencing stress at that age, so why wouldn't others? I like that there's someone or something everyone can relate to. The rhyming sounds like it was extremely well-done.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I love children's books. I love books about children. To know that this book involves various ethnicities is a wonderful thing to do! Congrats to the author in coming up with this peace-loving-plot for kids!

Return to “Children's Books”