Review by AnonReviewer2211 -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
AnonReviewer2211
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonreviewer2211.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by AnonReviewer2211 -- Toni the Superhero

Post by AnonReviewer2211 » 26 Jun 2018, 09:14

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Toni the Superhero” by R. D. Base, a mother of three young boys, is the first book of a three-part book series about a young superhero named Toni and how he likes to do ordinary household chores when he is not saving people’s lives.

The first thing someone, especially a little child, sees about a book is its cover and this book does not fail to catch a child’s attention. The book’s cover features the protagonist that is, Toni, with one hand balancing a cat which itself is balancing a few fruits and vegetables and with the other hand balancing a large broom that is kept on a pile of books and supports dishes and a ball kept on the ground next to the books. Toni has been dressed in a superhero costume that has vibrant colors that appeal to children almost instantly. The cover serves its purpose of attracting the young readers it has been aimed at besides providing an overview of the book’s content.

The more amazing parts of the book are the vivid illustrations that have been provided by Debbie Hefke. She has done an appreciable work in making these because all of them are sure to amuse the young readers. They are great supplements for understanding the sentences in the book. They are also a great help in providing depth to them.

Unlike a lot other children’s book, this book presents the readers with a hero who doesn’t shy away from going outdoors and playing with his friends on a real life playground instead of playing video games while lounging on the couch and consuming junk food mindlessly. This sets an example for the children to get involved in non-digital matters.

In this technology-dominated era, almost every kid has access to mobile phones and the instant entertainment provided with them. They can play games and do almost anything on the phones. This has led them to lose touch with nature, the outdoors and also in a way, reality. This might appear to be too grave a subject to be considered in children’s matter but it is not. One’s childhood plays a great role in his adult life. If one grows up in the aforementioned manner, metaphorically driven by technology, how can he be expected to develop into a fit and active human later in life? Thus, it needs to be taken into consideration that a book of this sort may prove helpful to get the kids to realize the importance of abandoning technology.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I absolutely love anything that has to do with kids and their enlightening. Such a book as this completely achieves the goal to help children read and develop a liking for reading early in their lives. The sentences are pretty short and simple thus making the book ideal for young readers aged 0 to 4 years.

As a final note, I would say that children need these recognizable and inspiring heroes who would teach them that doing ordinary things like helping in the household chores has its importance and is commendable at the same time. Also, I would definitely recommend this book for any little child in my circle of family and friends.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like AnonReviewer2211's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”