Official Review: The Adventure of Smelly Sock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: The Adventure of Smelly Sock

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventure of Smelly Sock" by Russell Delk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sock is in the company of some dirty clothes that are on their way down the hall, eager to get cleaned up again. They all want to stay in the laundry hamper for as little time as possible, as time in the hamper meant time away from their owner Grayson, who kept going on exciting adventures all the time. And finally, the wait comes to an end and they happily leap into the washing machine to get cleaned up. Sock tries to follow suit, but no! He gets stuck in the hamper’s Velcro! Author Russell Delk tells the story of a little sock and the lessons that he learns in The Adventure of Smelly Sock.

The main character of the book—Sock—is a little kid’s sock that gets separated from the rest of the laundry and panics due to the sudden loneliness. He just wants to get back to Grayson’s foot so that he can go back on another adventure. After much struggle, Sock disengages from the aforementioned Velcro and starts wandering around Grayson’s home. He thus starts discovering rooms that he had never noticed before.

Sock stumbles upon appliance after appliance in the house and asks them for Grayson’s whereabouts. All the appliances are nice and helpful but before they get to helping Sock out, they smell the stink surrounding the little guy—all thanks to the tumble in the washing machine that Sock missed. Thus, they keep redirecting him to other appliances that could possibly help him get rid of the stink and, maybe, lead him to Grayson. Ultimately, Sock figures out that he is fully capable of having adventures by himself without any help from a human foot.

The intentions and themes in this book are uncomplicated and presented in a fun and intelligible manner. Children respond very well to stories about things they get to use every day, and many children love imagining that the fridge, lamp, and vacuum cleaner around them are capable of speaking. Sock met many different home appliances on his adventure. These appliances provided a great amount of insight on how to talk politely and help someone in need. It makes for an interesting and educational story. There isn’t too much detail in the book that could end up confusing young readers, so the book is good enough to hold its readers’ attention. Children between the ages of five and eight might enjoy this story the most.

There are just a couple of punctuation errors in the text. However, I could find no tense inconsistencies or misspelled words. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next, making it an easy read.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. The illustrations in this book are really expressive and lively. The story definitely benefits from these pictures.

I couldn’t find anything that the book lacks in and, so, I don’t hesitate in rating it 4 out of 4 stars. The author clearly teaches his readers that they don’t need anyone’s help to find adventures. They are perfectly capable of finding adventures on their own. The book also serves up a good lesson on empathy and compassion.

The Adventure of Smelly Sock
View: on Bookshelves

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

The book sounds funny. I think my kids would enjoy the book.I'm glad the pictures are great in it. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 22:36 The book sounds funny. I think my kids would enjoy the book.I'm glad the pictures are great in it. Thanks for the review.
Oh yes, the pictures are heartwarming. I am sure you're little ones would love the book.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
pinchess07
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by pinchess07 »

I'd love to read this for myself, actually. I mean, I'm sure my younger nieces and nephews will love reading this too, but nothing's stopping me, a 25-year-old woman who loves cartoons and animated movies of all kinds, from enjoying this as well. I'm off to find a copy. Great review!
elishiaq
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elishiaq »

fun books like this warms my hearts, its like watching your favorite cartoon all over again. understandable and fun to read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like such a great book! I love that sock wants to spend as much time with his owner as possible. Thanks so much for the great review on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

very nice review indeed of the kids book smelly socks which is a small book of couple of pages but tells lot of things about hygiene to the children
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This reminds me of Sigfried's Smelly Socks. However, I like how the Sock has been personified. Amazing review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Samy Lax wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 12:14 Children respond very well to stories about things they get to use every day, and many children love imagining that the fridge, lamp, and vacuum cleaner around them are capable of speaking.
So true! I'm a 30-something, but the Brave Little Toaster lover in me wants to read this book to my kids. Thanks for the recommendation with your great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kay87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kay87.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kay87 »

I'm reading your review and smiling because I can imagine how wonderful the story is. I love good children books and I believe I will search for this one to read it so I could share it with my students. Thank you for a great review.
QueenVee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by QueenVee »

What a great story line. I've been an adult for a very long time now and yet I still enjoy a good kids book. My family loves reading and "The Adventure of Smelly Sock" sounds like one we can all enjoy. Looking forward to this read..
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sock sounds like a cute puppy that can't wait until his owner comes home to play with him. What a fun little tale. I like the lessons of this story as well, especially learning how to speak politely to others.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

pinchess07 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 00:14 I'd love to read this for myself, actually. I mean, I'm sure my younger nieces and nephews will love reading this too, but nothing's stopping me, a 25-year-old woman who loves cartoons and animated movies of all kinds, from enjoying this as well. I'm off to find a copy. Great review!
Haha. I SO get you. I loved reading it myself and my pasttimes seem to be quite similar to yours.

Do try and read this then. It will be a well-spent five minutes of your life.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I have so enjoyed reading your review! You are right, not only do children a certain age love imagining inanimate things around them capable of speaking, they sometimes hold conversations with them! The book seems hilarious, I hope to read it for myself!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

A funny book that the kids will love. Smelly sock is something we will hear very often from our kids.

Return to “Children's Books”