Official Review: The Adventure of Smelly Sock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Samy Lax
2018 Reading Goal: 38
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 107
Currently Reading: Played to Death
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Moonshots by Naveen Jain, John Schroeter, Sir Richard Branson

Official Review: The Adventure of Smelly Sock

Post by Samy Lax » 25 Jun 2018, 12:14

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventure of Smelly Sock" by Russell Delk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sock is in the company of some dirty clothes that are on their way down the hall, eager to get cleaned up again. They all want to stay in the laundry hamper for as little time as possible, as time in the hamper meant time away from their owner Grayson, who kept going on exciting adventures all the time. And finally, the wait comes to an end and they happily leap into the washing machine to get cleaned up. Sock tries to follow suit, but no! He gets stuck in the hamper’s Velcro! Author Russell Delk tells the story of a little sock and the lessons that he learns in The Adventure of Smelly Sock.

The main character of the book—Sock—is a little kid’s sock that gets separated from the rest of the laundry and panics due to the sudden loneliness. He just wants to get back to Grayson’s foot so that he can go back on another adventure. After much struggle, Sock disengages from the aforementioned Velcro and starts wandering around Grayson’s home. He thus starts discovering rooms that he had never noticed before.

Sock stumbles upon appliance after appliance in the house and asks them for Grayson’s whereabouts. All the appliances are nice and helpful but before they get to helping Sock out, they smell the stink surrounding the little guy—all thanks to the tumble in the washing machine that Sock missed. Thus, they keep redirecting him to other appliances that could possibly help him get rid of the stink and, maybe, lead him to Grayson. Ultimately, Sock figures out that he is fully capable of having adventures by himself without any help from a human foot.

The intentions and themes in this book are uncomplicated and presented in a fun and intelligible manner. Children respond very well to stories about things they get to use every day, and many children love imagining that the fridge, lamp, and vacuum cleaner around them are capable of speaking. Sock met many different home appliances on his adventure. These appliances provided a great amount of insight on how to talk politely and help someone in need. It makes for an interesting and educational story. There isn’t too much detail in the book that could end up confusing young readers, so the book is good enough to hold its readers’ attention. Children between the ages of five and eight might enjoy this story the most.

There are just a couple of punctuation errors in the text. However, I could find no tense inconsistencies or misspelled words. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next, making it an easy read.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. The illustrations in this book are really expressive and lively. The story definitely benefits from these pictures.

I couldn’t find anything that the book lacks in and, so, I don’t hesitate in rating it 4 out of 4 stars. The author clearly teaches his readers that they don’t need anyone’s help to find adventures. They are perfectly capable of finding adventures on their own. The book also serves up a good lesson on empathy and compassion.

The Adventure of Smelly Sock
View: on Bookshelves

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“For all our failings, despite our limitations and fallibilities, we humans are capable of greatness.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by LaurenHaupt » 26 Jun 2018, 22:36

The book sounds funny. I think my kids would enjoy the book.I'm glad the pictures are great in it. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax » 26 Jun 2018, 23:02

LaurenHaupt wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 22:36
The book sounds funny. I think my kids would enjoy the book.I'm glad the pictures are great in it. Thanks for the review.
Oh yes, the pictures are heartwarming. I am sure you're little ones would love the book.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
“For all our failings, despite our limitations and fallibilities, we humans are capable of greatness.”

pinchess07
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 203
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by pinchess07 » 27 Jun 2018, 00:14

I'd love to read this for myself, actually. I mean, I'm sure my younger nieces and nephews will love reading this too, but nothing's stopping me, a 25-year-old woman who loves cartoons and animated movies of all kinds, from enjoying this as well. I'm off to find a copy. Great review!

elishiaq
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elishiaq » 27 Jun 2018, 02:13

fun books like this warms my hearts, its like watching your favorite cartoon all over again. understandable and fun to read.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert

Post by kandscreeley » 27 Jun 2018, 07:59

This sounds like such a great book! I love that sock wants to spend as much time with his owner as possible. Thanks so much for the great review on this one.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

sanjus
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus » 27 Jun 2018, 11:04

very nice review indeed of the kids book smelly socks which is a small book of couple of pages but tells lot of things about hygiene to the children
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily

daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 » 27 Jun 2018, 11:39

This reminds me of Sigfried's Smelly Socks. However, I like how the Sock has been personified. Amazing review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

SamSim
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Zertone by Amanda K. Rivers
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 27 Jun 2018, 13:37

Samy Lax wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 12:14
Children respond very well to stories about things they get to use every day, and many children love imagining that the fridge, lamp, and vacuum cleaner around them are capable of speaking.
So true! I'm a 30-something, but the Brave Little Toaster lover in me wants to read this book to my kids. Thanks for the recommendation with your great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Kay87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kay87.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Kay87 » 27 Jun 2018, 17:16

I'm reading your review and smiling because I can imagine how wonderful the story is. I love good children books and I believe I will search for this one to read it so I could share it with my students. Thank you for a great review.

QueenVee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by QueenVee » 27 Jun 2018, 18:13

What a great story line. I've been an adult for a very long time now and yet I still enjoy a good kids book. My family loves reading and "The Adventure of Smelly Sock" sounds like one we can all enjoy. Looking forward to this read..

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 27 Jun 2018, 20:41

Sock sounds like a cute puppy that can't wait until his owner comes home to play with him. What a fun little tale. I like the lessons of this story as well, especially learning how to speak politely to others.

Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax » 27 Jun 2018, 23:13

pinchess07 wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 00:14
I'd love to read this for myself, actually. I mean, I'm sure my younger nieces and nephews will love reading this too, but nothing's stopping me, a 25-year-old woman who loves cartoons and animated movies of all kinds, from enjoying this as well. I'm off to find a copy. Great review!
Haha. I SO get you. I loved reading it myself and my pasttimes seem to be quite similar to yours.

Do try and read this then. It will be a well-spent five minutes of your life.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Cotwani » 28 Jun 2018, 03:48

I have so enjoyed reading your review! You are right, not only do children a certain age love imagining inanimate things around them capable of speaking, they sometimes hold conversations with them! The book seems hilarious, I hope to read it for myself!

Ana-Maria-Diana
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Lover Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana » 28 Jun 2018, 06:24

A funny book that the kids will love. Smelly sock is something we will hear very often from our kids.

Return to “Children's Books”