Official Review: Rory Aqua Adventure Man by Michelle Path

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Rory Aqua Adventure Man by Michelle Path

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rory Aqua Adventure Man" by Michelle Path.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rory is a toy who simply longs for a child to come along and choose him for a playmate. What kid wouldn’t want a fun summer toy that comes with his very own little surfboard? Sadly, though, Rory gets passed up day after day until he ultimately wakes up in the bargain bin. Before all hope is lost, six year old Emily decides that Rory is the toy she wants for her birthday.

Rory enjoys his new life with Emily, and even makes friends with her other toys. Soon, Rory even gets to accompany Emily to the beach. This is just the kind of adventure Rory was made for! What starts out as an exciting day of fun with Emily and her friend, soon takes a turn for the worst when Rory is somehow left behind and then gets carried out to sea. He knows he must find his way home, but has no idea where to even start. Will Rory ever find his happily ever after?

Rory Aqua Adventure Man is a fast-paced chapter book geared towards children ages seven years and older. Through the use of vivid descriptions and well-placed humor, author Michelle Path invites the reader to join Rory as he meets colorful new characters and finds himself in one sticky situation after another. There is never a dull moment in Rory’s story as he travels along through the water, jungle, and even ice.

The author has a great imagination, and the language she uses is absolutely suitable for the intended audience. I particularly enjoy the way the author weaves in important issues, such as the problem with pollution in our oceans. This is a great way to get important information out there to our youth in a manner they may enjoy.

I rate Rory Aqua Adventure Man 3 out of 4 stars, but would give 3.5 stars if I could. Minor polishing would be helpful, but there really are only a few errors. The constant references to Rory being a boy’s toy are slightly bothersome. I cannot tell if Michelle Path is poking fun of gender-specific toys, or if she is reaffirming the stereotypes. I think she is poking fun, but it is not quite clear. However, this is truly only minor, and the book is still quite enjoyable. It is a book I plan to keep for my boys to read when they get a little older. I would recommend this to readers in the 4th or 5th grade age range. I think those who enjoy the movie, Toy Story would particularly find enjoyment in reading this book. The author truly has a way of putting the reader right there in the story!

Rory Aqua Adventure Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a great read, although I would be slightly wary about the author's re-affirmation of of gender-specific toys. Thanks for the lovely review!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

gen_g wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 01:11 This sounds like a great read, although I would be slightly wary about the author's re-affirmation of of gender-specific toys. Thanks for the lovely review!
Thank you for checking out my review! It was a fun read, and I did enjoy the book. While I don't think the author was actually reaffirming the stereotypes, I couldn't quite be sure. Thanks again!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I hope you're right about the author "poking fun" at toy-related gender stereotypes and not reinforcing them. In any case, this sounds like a good book to hang on to for my kids when they get older. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

SamSim wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 09:34 I hope you're right about the author "poking fun" at toy-related gender stereotypes and not reinforcing them. In any case, this sounds like a good book to hang on to for my kids when they get older. Thanks for the recommendation!
At one point, Rory feels bad for complaining to himself about being purchased for a girl when he thinks he's a boy's toy. So, I don't think it's the author's intention to reinforce the stereotypes. She may be doing just the opposite, I'm just not certain. My small issue was more with how often it was mentioned that Rory is a boy's toy.

It's a fast-paced book that probably won't take long to read through, so you could definitely check it out before letting your kids read it.

Thanks for your feedback, and for checking out my review!
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This reminds me of Toy Story. Amazing review! It's intresting to see you viewpoint.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I love Toy Story movie! This book is surely to be read for my cute students.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 12:01 This reminds me of Toy Story. Amazing review! It's intresting to see you viewpoint.
Thanks so much! I was reminded of Toy Story, as well, which I enjoyed. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 23:40 I love Toy Story movie! This book is surely to be read for my cute students.
I enjoyed Toy Story, as well. :) I hope you and your students enjoy the book. Thanks for taking time to read my review and share your thoughts!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's so important for a book like this to have some deeper teachings for kids. I love that the author included pollution issues as a bit of a learning tool. Kudos to her!
Thanks for the awesome review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Bianka Walter wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 12:49 It's so important for a book like this to have some deeper teachings for kids. I love that the author included pollution issues as a bit of a learning tool. Kudos to her!
Thanks for the awesome review!
I agree completely. There will always be children who naturally enjoy learning about such topics, and those who do not. Weaving them into a fun story is a great way to share important issues. Thank you for taking the time to check out my review, and for sharing your thoughts! :)
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your cheerful review. I am inclined to look forward to Rory's "happily ever after," too.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Espie wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 21:35 Thank you for your cheerful review. I am inclined to look forward to Rory's "happily ever after," too.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review, and for sharing your feedback! I hope you’ll check out the book :)
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Christina Rose wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 03:31
Espie wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 21:35 Thank you for your cheerful review. I am inclined to look forward to Rory's "happily ever after," too.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review, and for sharing your feedback! I hope you’ll check out the book :)
No worries. My two boys are no longer within your recommended age group (they're 12 and 16). It's too early to say anuthing for my future grandkids, too.😊 Nonetheless, thank you. I really love happy endings.❤️
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Espie wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 07:33
Christina Rose wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 03:31
No worries. My two boys are no longer within your recommended age group (they're 12 and 16). It's too early to say anuthing for my future grandkids, too.😊 Nonetheless, thank you. I really love happy endings.❤️
This ending has a bit of a twist, but it's happy nonetheless. :)

Return to “Children's Books”