Official Review: Why Does It Rain Thunder And Lightning?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Why Does It Rain Thunder And Lightning?

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Does It Rain Thunder And Lightning?" by Christopher Woodard.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why Does It Rain, Thunder and Lightning? by Christopher Woodward is a children’s picture book. This is a common question that many children might ask. This book tells a story about an alternative explanation for why these natural events might occur. It all comes down to a giant named Too-Tall and his moose named Moose. How do these two create thunder, lightning, and rain? You’ll have to read the book to find out.

I liked the story. I thought that it provided a very unique way to explain thunder, lightning, and rain. I found myself laughing a little as I imagined each of the events, and I think children would definitely get a kick out of it. However, the writing style could use a little work. It wasn’t terrible, but the flow of the writing was a little bit off. I would have enjoyed the story more if the writing flowed better.

I also wasn’t a fan of the pictures in this book. While I appreciate that the author drew them himself, I don’t think they really depicted the book as well as they could have. The pictures mostly seemed to be made up of clouds with small glimpses of the characters. I would have really liked to see the characters in the middle of the actions that caused each of the events of a thunderstorm. These pictures, while commendable, were a bit disappointing as they didn’t really tell the story.

The book also did not seem to be edited, which was probably the biggest disappointment for me. There were several errors throughout the book that were distracting, and I wouldn’t want children to come across these errors as they read. I am definitely a firm believer in the importance of proper grammar in children’s books because reading is one way that they learn. This book was definitely lacking in the editing department. There were missing spaces, misspelled words, and incorrect contractions.

I give this book 1 out of 4 stars. If I could give half-star ratings, I would probably give it 1.5 stars because I did like the story. However, I just can’t see giving it more because I can’t recommend it to others. It seemed more like a draft of a book than a book that was ready to be published. While I enjoyed the explanation of thunder, rain, and lightning, I wouldn’t want children to read this book in its current form. I would love to see a revised version of this book in the future because I think it has a lot of potential!

Why Does It Rain Thunder And Lightning?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I completely agree with you. Good grammar and spelling are very important in children's books. I can attest to this because English is my second language and I learned it most through reading as a child. Authors cannot be allowed to slack in that department. Great review!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like such a charming story. Too bad it's ruined by the bad grammar and less-than-illustrative pictures. I hope they come out with a revised edition because I'd love to read this Aesop-like tale of a giant and his moose causing the rain and thunder & lightning.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Ever_Reading wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:31 I completely agree with you. Good grammar and spelling are very important in children's books. I can attest to this because English is my second language and I learned it most through reading as a child. Authors cannot be allowed to slack in that department. Great review!
I wholeheartedly agree!!!! I would even go so far as to say that being free of grammatical errors is much more important in children's books, as it is the period in which they are learning the language. Thank you for the lovely review!
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This children's story sounds fun. I also agree with your rating especially since the pictures could have been better and the grammar was not consistently correct. These are two vital components of children's books.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Lack of editing, especially in a book for children, simply kills what could have been a wonderful book. Great review, though!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Too-Tall and Moose deserve a second chance. I hope the author gets a good editor and illustrator and republishes. Walt Disney is listed as one of the world's greatest failures. Look who's laughing now!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Well thank you for the honest review. I liked the author's idea behind it. Wish he just improved on the pictures and the literature.
:techie-studyingbrown:
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I think it's important to have a book intended for learning minds to be as accurate as possible to guard the children from picking up the mistakes. Informative review.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

About the illustrations, sometimes in children's books, the pictures aren't exactly meant to tell the story. They do this in books for children to learn to get the information from the written word.

I admit, though, that that whole idea drove me crazy when my children learned to read. I have no idea if the author intended any such thing, just wanted to mention this.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Amanda Deck wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 17:41 About the illustrations, sometimes in children's books, the pictures aren't exactly meant to tell the story. They do this in books for children to learn to get the information from the written word.

I admit, though, that that whole idea drove me crazy when my children learned to read. I have no idea if the author intended any such thing, just wanted to mention this.
I agree! I don't think they intended it with this book, however. The pictures took up a lot of the book; there was even an entire page that was just a picture with no text. Because they were emphasized so much, I think they were supposed to be a major part of the story.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

No really my kind of book but thank you the review. I apreciate the author's interest in drawing the pictures
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a disappointment. Although the author seems to need a jumpstart to his creativity. A moose named Moose? Illustrations have to do more than go with the story, they need to help tell it. It doesn't seem like that happened well in this case.

Return to “Children's Books”