Official Review: The Mushroom's Other Hat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: The Mushroom's Other Hat

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mushroom's Other Hat" by Nancy-Jo Taiani.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mushroom’s Other Hat by Nancy-Jo Taiani is a children’s picture book about a mushroom named Amber. The rain has brought her and some other mushrooms out into the open for the first time. As Amber looks around the colony of mushrooms, she sees different shapes, colors, and sizes. After being called an “ordinary looking mushroom”, her feelings are hurt and she becomes self-conscious of her appearance. She sets out to find a new hat that will make her unique. Will she be able to find a hat that makes her beautiful?

This children’s book contains an amazing message about being yourself. I can’t say much more about that message without ruining the end of the book, but I loved it. I would definitely encourage children to read this book solely based on what they would learn from it. In my opinion, the message is such an important part of children’s books, and this reviewer did a great job conveying hers!

I also really liked the illustrations for this book. They were gorgeous pictures with vivid details. I looked through the book a couple times just so that I could really take them all in. I think children will love to follow along in the book and look at all of the characters on each page. Another aspect that I enjoyed was the educational section about mushrooms at the end of the book. This is a great way for children to learn about mushrooms since they just finished a story about a whole colony of them.

There were only two complaints I had with the book. One was that there were just a few too many errors for a children’s book. Within the actual pages of the story, there were a total of five errors. There were also four errors within the author’s note and the section about mushrooms. While this isn’t a huge deal, I felt like it was still too many for such a short book.

My other complaint is that the beginning would probably be kind of confusing for children. I have to admit that I was confused the first time I read it. I didn’t understand why Amber was coming out from under a leaf and seeing her home for the first time. I understood it after I read the information on mushrooms and then read the beginning a second time. There could have been a little more explanation in the first few pages instead of in the section at the end to make this clearer for the reader.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would give it 3.5. I didn’t really want to take a whole star away, but I just couldn’t give it a perfect score because of the errors and the confusing beginning. I would love to read a revised version because this book definitely has the potential to earn a perfect rating. Even as written, I would recommend this book to all children. I think the message is one that all kids, and even adults, could benefit from.

The Mushroom's Other Hat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's a shame about the errors, but this sounds like a really cute book. I like the theme of the story and beautiful illustrations make such a difference.
Abdul Majid 96
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdul Majid 96 »

Five errors within actual pages and four errors within the author’s note and the section about mushroom.ooh noo.
Vboya1
Currently Reading: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vboya1 »

good book to read,have the best theme and a beautiful illustrations
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

What interesting mushrooms...The explanation of the illustrations was so interesting that I just had to see for myself. Thanks for the review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Mushrooms are not ordinary characters. It's amazing that you can bring anything to life for a children's book and it actually turns out good. I am glad it actually has real information about mushrooms at the end.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

The message sounds obvious and uplifting enough, but the idea of making mushrooms sentient protagonists sounds a little postmodern and ridiculous.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a unique book. I'm glad there are good pictures in it. It would be nice to put the information about mushrooms at the beginning of the story to avoid confusion.
:techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 10:26 Mushrooms are not ordinary characters. It's amazing that you can bring anything to life for a children's book and it actually turns out good. I am glad it actually has real information about mushrooms at the end.
I totally agree with Laura! I love that the author also thought to include facts on mushrooms for the children, which makes the book even more informative. Thank you for the great review!

Return to “Children's Books”