Review by lindsaysherlock -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Review by lindsaysherlock -- Toni the Superhero

Post by lindsaysherlock » 21 Jun 2018, 14:56

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a children's book about a young boy named Toni. Toni is a superhero who also enjoys doing every day, "non-super" activities. This book is designed for children who are just learning to read, so the writing is very simple. The illustrations really help explain the story, so even children who aren't able to read yet can enjoy this book. I think many kids would enjoy the pictures in this adorable book that parents will enjoy reading to their children.

I rate this book four out of four stars. Because I am a 20-year-old woman, much older than the target age-range, I read it to my 3-year-old cousin. She really enjoyed Toni the Superhero, and was able to easily read the sentences and comprehend the story. Reading this book to a child does not take very much time, making it a great selection for before naptime or bedtime. Reading to kids is a great way to spend quality time with them, and this book made reading enjoyable for both of us.

What I enjoyed most about this book is that it shows kids that doing everyday activities can be fun and exciting. The main character, Toni, participates in tasks that many children perceive as boring. When kids see a superhero do something, it automatically changes their perspective. Kids think superheroes are the coolest people in the world, and they want to be just like their favorite superhero. Toni empowers children by showing that he can have fun doing "normal" chores.

I very much enjoy the fact that Toni is African-American. He is an admirable figure for African-American children to relate to. It is critical that all children, especially African-American children, see reading as a fun activity. Reading skills will lead to them being more successful in their academic careers later on. Kids have a much easier time relating to people who look like them, which makes diversity in children's books very important. This book also shows Toni playing with children of other ethnicities, which shows children the importance of interacting with people who look different from them.

Reading is such a huge part of a child's early development, and this book is a great contribution to the variety of published children's novels. This book promotes the idea that reading is fun. I did not find any writing errors, which is especially important in children's novels, considering that children who are just learning to read are not able to identify errors.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like lindsaysherlock's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”