Official Review: Ralphie the Roach by Raymond Sobrino Jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Ralphie the Roach by Raymond Sobrino Jr.

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ralphie the Roach" by Raymond Sobrino Jr..]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ralphie, a little roach, did not know that others saw him as ugly and dirty. Also, he had no idea that his home was dark and greasy, it was the only home he had ever known. Author Raymond Sobrino Jr. tells the story of Ralphie and the lessons that he learns in Ralphie the Roach.

Ralphie came home from school crying. His concerned parents rushed to console Ralphie and find out what caused his sadness. Henry, a big and mean honey bee, told Ralphie that no one liked him because he and his home were ugly and dirty. The bully also said that everyone loved bees because bees spent most of their time around flowers. Everyone loves flowers. Ralphie and his parents have a serious talk about what is truly important and the proper way to treat other bugs.

The purpose and themes in this book are clear and presented in a fun and understandable way. Children respond very well to fables, and many children love insects and small creatures. Kindness to others and self-confidence are lessons that should be taught time and time again. Most children are unaware of perceived flaws until a bully painfully makes them aware. This story teaches an anti-bullying lesson by appealing to the reader’s empathy.

There are no grammatical errors throughout the text. The story is told with simple language making it a book that children as young as two-years-old would enjoy. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read. However, I believe that there is a serious error concerning the name of the honey bee character. His name is Henry when he is introduced, but Harry speaks in the same conversation with no introduction. I am not sure if these are two different characters or one and the same.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. The illustrations fell short in this book. It is difficult to make out what is in the first picture. Furthermore, all of the pictures are black and white. This story would benefit from bright and colorful pictures.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. There is great potential here. The author shows a clear understanding of the importance of teaching children to be kind to one another. The lessons in this book are presented in an engaging and understandable way. Unfortunately, the pictures and character name confusion take away from this book. Still, reading this story with or to young children will help start important conversations about kindness and self-confidence.

Ralphie the Roach
View: on Bookshelves

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I agree on the rating with you. Colorful illustrations are a gateway to the children's hearts. I hope the author makes these changes in the future. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's a shame about the pictures, but do we really want "cute" pictures of roaches? Also, it IS a great lesson, and I applaud the author for writing it, but roaches? Ugh! As someone who was plagued with them in my home years ago, I just cannot be empathetic of them, cartoon or not.
Catevanne22
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Pancake Money
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catevanne22.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Catevanne22 »

I enjoyed your review of this children's book. The choice of a roach as the main character is smart, being that many people loathe this insect. The story reminds me of a children's book from long ago called The Ugly Duckling which teaches a similar lesson. And since anti-bullying is a theme very much on parent's minds these days I hope the message will get through to kids.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Seems like a great way to teach children not to judge things because of their outward appearance; a lot of potential actually lay on the inside, I mean I don't think Bill Gates became the richest man on earth by being handsome or nick-knack. And as for the cockroaches, I've seen my little siblings watching Robo-roach and if that don't kill them, this one won't either. Great review by the way, loved it!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Using a roach as a character is a creative way to teach not to judge by outward appearances and I'm sure it's more appreciated by children than I can as an adult. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I'm not sure if I will read a story about a roach being bullied but still I can't deny the creativity of the author in writing this story. I will have to pass this one. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I like the theme to the story. I think stories like these can help children. Pictures should be improved. One name for a honey bee should be enough.
:techie-studyingbrown:
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Great lessons. The title would be a huge turnoff for me. I wouldn't want this book in my house.

I would have anticipated colored images. Disappointing...
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

It's actually true, children rarely see the negative about themselves unless point out by others. I felt too bad about the book's illustration. The themes and creative used of insects are already great but if the illustration is lame then conveying the message particularly to the target audience also failed.

Return to “Children's Books”