Official Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin

Post by Haute_Coffee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin" by M.E. Hembroff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin is a children’s book by M.E. Hembroff. The story, which is set in 1954, follows Bess Silver and her friends as they try to unravel an old mystery in their small town.

After losing her father in a car accident, and recently recovering from polio herself, Bess moves to a new town with her mother. The pair hopes to get a fresh start. At first, Bess isn’t entirely sure about Pineview, although she soon makes friends with some girls her own age. After her best friend and cousin Megan moves to town with her own family, Bess feels more secure and begins to settle into life in a new place. Adjusting to a new school and life without her father, Bess has a lot on her mind. Soon she has even more to contemplate when a mystery pops up in Megan’s home.

Renovating their new house, Megan’s father discovers a tiny cabin comprised of one room, right behind the walls of their home. Among the few items left behind is an old diary. Bess begins to spend her free time reading through the old entries, dated at the beginning of the 1900s. She becomes fascinated with the accounts of a young couple embarking on a new life together on the “wild frontier.” Soon, Bess becomes consumed with unraveling the mystery of the author of the diary. Who was she? What became of her and her young family? Bess is determined to find out.

The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin is a very charming, enjoyable book. It is aimed at middle-grade readers and seems very appropriate for that age. The story explores a lot of what life was like for Bess living in a small town. She attends school in a one-room schoolhouse, with one teacher who presides over 25 students from first to eighth grade. There are fun, simple activities that the children all attend together such as nature walks, wiener roasts, and sleigh rides. I think many children would love to read about these things and learn how school in the 50s was different from today.

As for the mystery itself, it wasn’t all that mysterious. I enjoyed reading the excerpts from the pioneer family’s diary, which were nicely paralleled with the diary that Bess kept about her own life. Although Bess has many dreams about the mystery woman, I thought there would be more of a paranormal presence. From the description, I thought it might be a ghost story. Most of the mystery involves Bess doing extensive research as she tries to track down the history of cabin’s original residents.

I enjoyed the story a great deal. As a child, I loved reading stories that took place decades before, sort of the junior version of historical fiction. I liked hearing about more simple times and seeing how the character’s lives were so different from my own. The story was sweet and the author has a very pleasant, engaging writing style. The characters were fun, particularly the identical twin boys that arrive at school partway through the year, and prove to be a mischievous pair. I think almost any child from 9-12 or so would enjoy reading this light mystery.

I awarded The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin 4 out of 4 stars. Even as an adult, I was absorbed in the story and was curious to find out who the owner of the diary was and what became of her. I think children would be equally engaged and will like hearing about life in the 50s, as well as the hardships of frontier living in the early 1900s.

The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin
View: on Bookshelves

Like Haute_Coffee's review? Post a comment saying so!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a good book. I want to know what happened now after reading your review. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

“Charming” is a great word to describe this story. I’d like to read it myself! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a lively read. When I read your review I couldn't help but wonder if there was unusual incidents that occurred in the story. Certain points questioned me like, was the diary left on purpose? Is it a haunting read? Did the girl get obsessed with that diary? Was there a happy ending? Such questions popped into my mind. I wonder of its outcome. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
shieramaemdamiles
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shieramaemdamiles »

Sounds like a good book to read for my nephew. Thank you so much!
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I also like hearing and reading stories from the past when it is more simple and happier times. I think this is a children's book adults like me will enjoy as well.
Mercymax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Mercymax »

Though the genre targets young children it is enjoyable to read it. Bess has an adult mind therefore everyone can be fascinated to read the book. Nice preview
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I dont exactly know why but ive never been a fan of books set in "the old days". I prefer i suppose books set in modern time or more so in the future. I guess im more of a fantasy thriller person so this book wouldnt be for me. However i may recommend it to my daughter who is only 9 but reads at a much higher level. I appriciated your very thorough review of the book.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I saw this book and started to read it, so I'm glad my initial instinct was dead-on, though I too thought it was more of a ghost story. One thing confuses me, though; if her father died in a car crash before the move, how did her father renovate the new place? *scratches head*
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your review made me think of the kind of mystery books I enjoyed as a girl. Sounds like a great read--thanks for the memories!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This will be a great read to me. I'm jealous at Bess for being able to read an old diary set in 1900s. 1 question: Did Bess keep the old diary to herself?

The title itself is intriguing to me. Thank you for your good review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rafiu7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rafiu7 »

Am captivated already and I will make sure my nephew read and enjoy it...
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

When I read this book's description, I thought there would be more of a paranormal aspect, too, but it sounds like the absence of that doesn't mean that the book isn't a good read. From reading your wonderful review, I'm curious to read this one myself! Thanks.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I don't know why but I always enjoy stories that involve long-lost diaries. My favorite parts of those books are reading the excerpts from the diaries. This sounds like a fun read. You have me intrigued about the diary as well.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

kfwilson6 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 20:45 I don't know why but I always enjoy stories that involve long-lost diaries. My favorite parts of those books are reading the excerpts from the diaries. This sounds like a fun read. You have me intrigued about the diary as well.
That is indeed the intriguing part of this story. I also like reading such long-lost written works. It provides satisfaction to reader's curiosity and imagination.

Return to “Children's Books”