Official Review: Nanook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Nanook

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nanook" by Larry and Austin Hulsey Co authors.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I remember very little about my childhood, but some of my strongest memories are of my parents telling my sister and I stories. Whether they were Golden Books or from the Bible, and whether they were at bedtime or in the middle of the day, those moments make for some great memories. The same must be true for Austin Hulsey; Austin and his father co-authored this book after Austin's daughter recommended putting the story in ink! Nanook was originally a story that Larry Hulsey told to his son Austin while he was growing up, and once Austin had children he told the story to them as well, which led to the aforementioned daughter's recommendation to make it a book for everyone to read.

Nanook is an illustrated children's book that tells the tale of a father and son in Alaska. Nanook loves to fish, but has been repeatedly warned not to go to a particularly dangerous part of the Canning River where a dangerous, big polar bear they call Old One Ear hangs out. Old One Ear earned his name due to having his other ear shot off during a previous encounter with him when he almost stole the fish they caught. Nanook is a good kid, so of course he listens to his father... at first, until he realizes the fish aren't biting at the safer part of the river and gets bored.

The story is told with text on full-page images, and even on my Kindle I never had trouble making out words over the colorful art. The writing isn't told through poems or rhyme, so it's very easy to read and none of the words seem forced or awkward. The vocabulary chosen is easy enough to read while adding some Alaskan/cold weather vocabulary to a child's mind like igloos and tundras.

Speaking of Alaska, this was one of the main reasons I picked up Nanook. I've always been fascinated by Alaska, and I've wanted to visit as long as I can remember. Anytime the weather is any kind of warm, I always tell people that I wish I lived in Alaska, and the illustrations really help bring it to life. The warm Inuit outfits, their igloo, the frightening polar bear Old One Ear... the book made me long for a visit to Alaska. The illustrations are all lovely, vibrant and capture the emotions of father and son. A few pages even used an enlarged snowflake shape to great effect, such as giving two views of Nanook getting ready to fish on the same page. The tiny bit of border around the full-page illustrations are also unique, giving the images a bit of a snowblind effect. I assumed the illustrator was a random professional the father and son team had hired since the images are so nice, and was blown away that Kyle McCloud (the illustrator) is actually Austin's cousin! As such, this is entirely the work of a family, which is awesome!

I really enjoyed Nanook, and I didn't see a single error. It had a great lesson to teach, it felt very realistic and genuine, and the art was great. I also particularly loved the story behind the story - a father telling his son, who ended up telling his own kids the story until they write it in a book with Austin's cousin doing the art. It's clear a lot of love went into the book, and it's very well polished. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars, and I can easily recommend it to anyone who has young children they read stories to and who want to reinforce the importance of listening to one's parents. If your children are interested in Alaska, it's all the better!

Nanook
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like such a charming book with what I'm sure is an important lesson. I'm also glad that the pictures are wonderful and the borders you mentioned sound interesting. I like the idea of Alaska as the backdrop, too... Thanks for the thorough review and wonderful introduction!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Nice introduction. Very enthusiastic review. Glad the storyline and the illustrations were on point. I will be adding this to my to-be-read list. cheers!
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

CataclysmicKnight, thank you for your wonderful and warm review of this child's book. It makes me want to read it myself. I love that the illustrations are perfect for the story. They are so important for the children to get a grasp of what the story is about. It's really cool that this was a family project that turned out so great.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Wow! Talk about a shining result of a family effort. This book sounds verbally, emotionally, and visually great. Great review, too!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Children's book always manage to capture my heart. I might read this one because I am obsessed with illustrated books. Thanks for the review.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I love the family collaboration and the fact that the story was actually passed on, now I'm thinking if I should publish the ones my father told me (haha). But I love the style of your review, it's sort of fun and wonderful all missed together and you made the story sound great.

Return to “Children's Books”