Official Review: My Friend Josh has DCD by Christine Draper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: My Friend Josh has DCD by Christine Draper

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Friend Josh has DCD" by Christine Draper.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Friend Josh Has DCD by Christine Draper is an informational picture book that is designed to teach kids about developmental coordination disorder (DCD). The author’s son has DCD, so she wanted to teach children about the disorder in a positive manner. This book does that nicely. Told from Josh’s friend’s point of view, the book goes through the different symptoms of Josh’s disorder. It talks about the things he can and can’t do. It also states some of the different facts of DCD. Through this educational book, the reader gets a great overview of developmental coordination disorder.

I really enjoyed how much information was included in this book. It can be hard for children to understand when someone else is different than they are. This book is a great way to explain DCD to them. The information is given in a light-hearted manner that would be easy for children to grasp. It would be the perfect book for children who know someone with DCD. Even as an adult, I learned a lot from reading this book.

I also liked the illustrations in the book. I believe that artwork is one of the most important parts of a children’s book, and the pictures in this book were great! They matched the text well and were very eye-catching. They would easily capture the attention of young children to help keep them engaged as the book is read.

While I really enjoyed this book, there were a couple of downfalls. One is that there were quite a few errors in the book, especially for its length. There were misspelled words, improper capitalization, and other grammar errors. While the errors in this book might not be a big deal to most adults, they would be to kids. They go against the grammar rules they learn in school. This can be confusing, which is why it is so important that children’s books are properly edited. I would definitely suggest another round of editing for this book.

Another downfall of the book was the writing style. While I liked that it seemed to have the voice of a child, I didn’t like the repetitiveness and disorganization of the writing. For example, there was one sentence in which “also” and “too” were both used when just one was needed. The organization of ideas could also use some work. There were a few places where it jumped between thoughts without warning or strayed from the main idea. The style wasn’t a major problem, but it was distracting.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the content of the book, but the overall execution could be improved upon. The book needs one more round of editing, and the style could be refined. If the book were revised, I would definitely consider increasing the score. Even as written, I would recommend this book to any children who know someone with DCD and want to know more and to any parents that want to teach their children about this disorder.

My Friend Josh has DCD
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love the concept of this book and I wish there was some kind of series that multiple authors/doctors/caregivers could contribute to that covers all kinds of diseases/conditions/allergies to help kids understand themselves and others. (Stop me and please reply to this comment if something like that already exists.) I agree about the extreme importance of thorough editing in children's books, though. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This book is so important! We need more books which introduce and normalise disorders in a society and starting with children's books is a good idea. Amazing review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

SamSim wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 10:32 I love the concept of this book and I wish there was some kind of series that multiple authors/doctors/caregivers could contribute to that covers all kinds of diseases/conditions/allergies to help kids understand themselves and others. (Stop me and please reply to this comment if something like that already exists.) I agree about the extreme importance of thorough editing in children's books, though. Thanks for the great review!
This would be a great idea!
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

Too bad about the editing problems with this book. With children's books, the spelling, grammar, and punctuation need to be perfect, because they are still in the learning stages of forming sentences properly. These type of books are important, too, to educate not only children, but the adults who see children with these type of developmental or medical issues. Thank you for your enlightening review, anneloretrujillo.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 13:42 This book is so important! We need more books which introduce and normalise disorders in a society and starting with children's books is a good idea. Amazing review!
That’s exactly what I was going to say.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Books that discuss issues such as these are a necessary tool for the understanding and acceptance of children with various kinds of disorders. They help reduce stigma and bullying among their peers. I had never heard of DCD until now. Thanks for the informative review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I wasn't even aware of this disorder. I'd definitely read it for the benefit of learning, especially since I work with children on a pretty regular basis.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Children's Books”