Official Review: Steven and his new customized bicycle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Steven and his new customized bicycle

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Steven and his new customized bicycle" by Steve H Moses.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Steven and His New Customized Bicycle by Steve H. Moses is a children’s picture book. In nineteen colorful pages, it tells a story about Steven and the brand-new bike that he receives for his birthday. The bike is unique and was made just for him. It even has his first skateboard built right into it. It’s the perfect birthday gift! How will everyone else react to Steven and his new customized bicycle?

I give this book 1 out of 4 stars. There are four things I look for in children’s books: pictures, plot, message, and professional editing. Unfortunately, this book fell short on three out of four of those aspects; the pictures were the only good part of this book. While the pictures are important to the book, they didn’t make up for the rest of the problems. Because of the issues with the editing, message, and plot, I just couldn’t bring myself to give the book more than one star. I wouldn’t recommend this book to others.

As I mentioned before, the illustrations were great. They were detailed and matched the story. The colors were vibrant, and they would really catch children’s attention. The way the pages were formatted was also enjoyable. I liked that the picture was on one side and the text was on the other. This was consistent throughout the book and made the text easy to follow.

The first issue I noticed was that the book was not professionally edited. There were errors starting from the first sentence of the book. Proper editing is essential for children’s books. They learn from the books they read. Children can’t differentiate between correct and incorrect grammar like adults can. Because of this, they often pick up bad grammar habits if the books they read contain errors. I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but I can’t stress this point enough: children’s books must be edited well!

The second issue that came to my attention was the absence of a positive message or lesson in the book. I know that this isn’t necessarily essential to a children’s story, but I feel like this book actually gave a negative message to children. It teaches children that it is okay to show off and that it will make you cool. I don’t have children of my own, but I do have three Godchildren. I just can’t see myself reading them this book because of the underlying message.

The final issue was the storyline. It lacked a clear problem and solution. When I got to the end of the book, I couldn’t help but ask, “Oh, that was it?” There seemed to be a hint of a problem and solution toward the end of the book, but it was cleared up so fast that I’m not really sure if the author intended it to be the climax of the book or not. There also wasn’t a build-up to this problem, so it just increased my doubt about it being the intended climax.

Overall, the cons outweighed the pros of this book. Even though the pictures were enjoyable, they didn’t make up for the editing, message, and plot of the book. As currently written, it isn’t worth buying, especially since the print version of this book is pricey for a children’s book. Unless as a parent you want to try to read it out loud with correct grammar, I wouldn’t recommend this book.

Steven and his new customized bicycle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I totally agree that the message is all kinds of wrong. Kids have a tendency to want to show off, it's natural. But it takes time to teach them humility and grace. I'm sorry this did the opposite. What a pity.
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

That's a shame. They could put on something like consequences when boasting then what to do to learn from it, avoid it and practice a good value opposite to being boastful.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Such a shame to waste those wonderful illustrations. All your points are valid, and the rating customized. Kids deserve better. But I hope the author can still "recycle" the book.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Yup, proper editing is absolutely essential in a children's book. Additionally, if there's not a positive message, what's the point, especially if the only message present seems to be a negative one? As a parent, I'm constantly trying to counteract the destructive messages coming at my kids from all sides. I certainly wouldn't want to read a book to them that reinforces a bad behavior. Thanks for helping me dodge a bullet on this one with your great, honest review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Thank you for honest review. It's a shame that the book is lacking a lot. A good story has to have a good theme.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Mustapha Haadi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mustapha Haadi »

Children often value any least chance they get and to get a bicycle is a destiny for them.

Return to “Children's Books”