Review by LaurenHaupt -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by LaurenHaupt -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by LaurenHaupt » 08 Jun 2018, 09:28

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have just read an exciting new book about a charming little boy whose name is Toni. Toni is a young boy who is African American and besides being adorable he is also a superhero.

This new book is called "Tony the Superhero!". It was written by R.D Base and it was illustrated by Debbie Hefke. It was written for age 0-4 and for children that are in the beginning stages of reading.

Tony is a delightful child that dresses up like a superhero throughout the day. He shows children that they can be a superhero too if they do good deeds and stay active. Toni likes to rescue animals from being trapped in trees. He also likes to help his mom with chores around the house. Toni likes to play outside. For his spare time, he likes to run, swim, jump, sing, and just have fun.

I enjoyed reading this story. My two-year-olds loved listening to it. Their oldest daughter enjoyed reading it to them. It was a fun and entertaining book.

The pictures were very colorful and creative. I especially enjoyed the picture where he was at the playground. The sentences were full of sight words to help kids start reading and improve their vocabulary skills.

I hope this book teaches kids that is ok to play outside. You don't have to be inside to have a good time. Play outdoors and go exploring, Use your imagination. Be a superhero!

The only part that I thought was missing out of the story had to do with one of the illustrations. On the page where it says," Toni Likes to Rescue Animals" it shows a pretty tree but there isn't an animal stuck in it. There should be a cat stuck in the tree.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I think anyone with children or works with children would love reading it to them. I didn't give the book three stars because even though I thought one of the illustrations could have used more detail I thought it was a wonderful book. Older children might not like the book as much and rather prefer a harder reading level.

R.D Base also has some new stories coming out that sound exciting. They are called " Toni Loves Vegetables", "Toni Loves to Read", and "Toni Saves the Day!".

I hope that I can find them so I can start reading them to my own kids.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like LaurenHaupt's review? Post a comment saying so!

Bianka Walter
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 10 Jun 2018, 08:09

I'm glad you could test this book on your kids, it really helps to write a great review - as you have done :)
Thanks so much! I enjoyed reading it.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt » 12 Jun 2018, 18:35

Bianka Walter wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 08:09
I'm glad you could test this book on your kids, it really helps to write a great review - as you have done :)
Thanks so much! I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you. Was a little hard.Would have been easier if I had the actual book. I'm still reading it though and they like to point at the pictures.

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Take Charge of Your Career by Nicole Lapin

Post by gen_g » 15 Jun 2018, 00:00

This sounds like a great book for kids! Thanks for the detailed review.

LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:

Post by LaurenHaupt » 15 Jun 2018, 09:39

gen_g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 00:00
This sounds like a great book for kids! Thanks for the detailed review.
You're welcome. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”