Official Review: The family of blackbirds and other stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: A Song In Time by Ashley Robert
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The family of blackbirds and other stories

Post by JessNWheeler » 07 Jun 2018, 16:04

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The family of blackbirds and other stories" by Chika Echebiri.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

He heard the voices of men. To Kiki’s surprise, a glowing cigarette falls to the ground under the oak tree as the men walk away. Author Chika Echebiri tells the tale of clever blackbirds and more in The Family of Blackbirds and Other Stories.

The first story in this collection is a fable about the life of a family of blackbirds. Kiki has a dream that warns of coming danger to the family. Next, Zizi learns to work through a personality flaw that saddened her dear friend. Later, Gerda and her father find a valuable ring. The two quickly decided to return the ring safely to the owner, but surprisingly, this proves to be more difficult than they had planned. Later still, a mysterious illness terrifies a king. Emeka sets out in hopes that his bravery will restore peace in the community. Even later, Susan learns to cope with the anxieties of attending school for the first time.

The author expresses the hope that the important life lessons conveyed in the book will delight and inspire young readers. The manner in which these lessons are taught in this book are in no way in alignment with the way I teach and raise my children. I do not believe that name calling is an effective way to instill strength and good morals in a child. I found the author’s use of words such as “chatterbox” and “crybaby” to be counterproductive. In my opinion, parenting with name calling is step one in bully creation.

The many grammar errors were such a disappointment. These errors were a constant distraction and disrupted the flow of the story. These mistakes include missing, misplaced, and misspelled words. This e-book would benefit from professional editing and formatting.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. The illustrations in this book were provided by storyblocks and pixabay. These illustrations lack the quality of a published children’s book. Most of the pictures were loosely-related stock photos. The remaining pictures were photos of sketches. These sketches were lovely, but the paper displayed eraser marks and creases. Some of the pictures are distracting from the story itself.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. There is potential here. I believe that the author is a great storyteller. Still, the grammar errors, low-quality illustrations, and formatting issues cannot be ignored. These multi-cultural children’s stories would perhaps be more entertaining and effective without the counterproductive name-calling.

The family of blackbirds and other stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Bikko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Bikko » 10 Jun 2018, 04:03

I too support the reviewer since the errors has actually affected the flow of the story and creating boredom in the reading process.

SamSim
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Zertone by Amanda K. Rivers
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 10 Jun 2018, 07:41

The name-calling is troubling and it's a shame about the editing and illustrations. Thanks for the honest review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 10 Jun 2018, 08:34

The author has the potential but the fact that the book has not professionally edited is the bummer to the readers. Thank you for your honest review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

KristyKhem
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading: At Zero
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Under the Birch Tree by Nancy Chadwick

Post by KristyKhem » 10 Jun 2018, 18:30

This one looked like a good book. Too bad it was lacking.

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 10 Jun 2018, 22:33

I too agree with your rating to this read. No way in hell is a kid benefiting from name calls, and you mentioned it is a one step away from getting bullied. Children who bully others are children who have issues (in background sense by broken families, etc) they need a lot help and this isn't helping at all rather than it sets a bad example. Rather parents can use it to show to their kids that such things do exist, and that kindly explain it to them that this is bad, and that such conduct is unacceptable. Thank you for your thoughtful review!
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are :techie-studyingbrown: - Mason Cooley

Nimat87
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 » 12 Jun 2018, 03:16

Thanks for the honest review. From the author's name, I'm guessing this book is written by an African (most likely a Nigerian). I'm also Nigerian and name calling is literally a part of almost every household. I honestly don't know why it is but I feel parents are of the opinion that it makes children develop thick skin and become very tough, making them ready to face the challenges of the world head-on. I feel the African society is more conservative when it comes to showing 'weak' emotions, so we are encouraged to bottle them up so people don't take advantage of us. And this is actually true; people tend to take advantage of those they perceive as being soft, kindhearted, emotional in this society, so parents want to teach their children to be tough from the onset. In other words, the African society is a tough love society, even though it may have gotten too much. I do not subscribe to this school of thought though (although I feel there's a need for tough love in reasonable constraints, not name calling or lashing out insults!), as a lot of abuse is inflicted on the child without meaning to. However, a lot of people do subscribe to this because they believe it yields positive results, hence the reference in the book. The author painted a very realistic picture in that aspect, and sadly encourages it.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:

daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 » 14 Jun 2018, 14:45

Fables are generally more expressive than other fiction. However, since they're meant for the younger audience, I feel that the illustrations could make use of improvements because they are what appeal to the kids more than the story.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by LaurenHaupt » 17 Jun 2018, 16:38

I agree with you on the name calling. That's not positive reinforcement. It's a shame about the illustrations.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Children's Books”