Review by Santor_mg -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Santor_mg
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-santor-mg.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Santor_mg -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Santor_mg » 06 Jun 2018, 03:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

<r><r>As a mother & a book lover, I also want my kids, two boys, aged 5 and 10 months old, to instill values of reading a book. I started collecting for my eldest even before he was born, books ranging from card board pages for infants to short stories and activity books for toddlers/pre-schoolers. Now, our youngest son is also starting to enjoy the pre-loved books of our eldest.

Choosing the right kind of books for my kids is a top priority since it also builds their character, knowledge, curiosity, and tickle their imagination at such a young age. Books are also tools for parents to have a bonding moment with their kids. When I shop for a book, I always see to it that my son(s) will make discoveries of his surrounding and impart values with him that he can use in interacting with other children and adults as well. I also need to look for something fun so that learning would not be a drag for them.

Initially, when I saw the cover page of <I><s><I><s></s></s>Toni the Superhero<e><e></e></I></e></I>, the book's illustration was not that appealing to me. The word "Superhero" in the title also gave me the impression that this book is just another cliche of a kid's fantasy...especially little boys. But as I read thru the pages, I saw that the author, <B><s><B><s></s></s>R.D. Base<e><e></e></B></e></B>, gave a deeper meaning to "Superheroes" in the simplest way--through the eyes of a child. Toni, demonstrated the daily activities of a typical school age boy who enjoys everything he does, not only studying, playing and eating, but also in doing house chores. The element of "FUN" was added to change the notion of doing household chores. A strategy that parents should bring in when teaching their kids to help around the house so as to encourage their children in doing their part for the family even at a young age. This also imparts the values of independence and responsibility. Most little children love it when they are praised for doing some assigned tasks at home. The fact that the author is a Mom, the story reflected also of what kind of relationship she has with her children, who are all boys. The main character, Toni, just like any ordinary kid would opt to change identity from time to time. A daily encounter that most parents, like the author (and me), can relate to when taking care of toddlers and pre-schoolers.

Illustrations were brightly colored--very much attractive to the targeted genre for this book. My pre-schooler immediately interrupted my reading when he saw the pages I am looking into. I don't know if other parents would also agree with me, but I applaud the subliminal message of equality it conveys on drawings that depicts interacial activities of children in the community. Drawings reflect a happy mood in any activity or chore that Toni is involved with. Moreover, the drawings and color fill were somehow similar to that of a child's hand stroke. And perfection to detail and proportion of figures were not of a main concern.

I rate this book <B><s></s>4 out of 4 stars.<e></e></B> The simplicity of words and illustrations on this book makes it easy to read and be understood for its genre. Repetitions on the first three words for the sentences is a good tool for the child to easily recognize words in reading. Just as I tried it on my five year old son who is a novice on reading on his own. The settings used for the story (i.e. home, school, community) are also very relatable to targeted readers. Imaginative play is encouraged and incorporated in this book to introduce children on how they can participate to their home and community. And lastly, the values of independence, responsibility and equality were depicted on this book. A very good buy indeed for parents who are nurturing toddler or pre-schoolers.</r>

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Santor_mg's review? Post a comment saying so!

BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: A Thread in Time by Jess Thomas

Post by BriennaiJ » 07 Jun 2018, 08:33

It is definitely important for the words to be simple enough for parents to read it to their children and for children to be able to read it by themselves when they learn. I love that your kid interrupted your reading to look at the pictures! It is also lovely that the author included children of all races. Great review!

Santor_mg
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-santor-mg.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Santor_mg » 09 Jun 2018, 08:30

Thanks @BriennaiJ

palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy » 11 Jun 2018, 21:23

I'm glad to read a mother's review and learn another point of view / reception to the story. I didn't know until reading your review, that repetition in this books instance was a good tool. Very glad to know.

Bookmermaid
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookmermaid.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Bookmermaid » 25 Jun 2018, 18:55

I enjoyed your review I was wondering how to review such a short text. :tiphat: on this effort.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”