Official Review: Nora Santini: Engineer and Yogini

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Official Review: Nora Santini: Engineer and Yogini

Post by kwame1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nora Santini: Engineer and Yogini" by T.J. Horton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have heard of Yoga for many years but have not bothered to find out what it is all about. I almost concluded that Yoga is for unique people until I read the journal Nora Santini: Engineer and Yogini. This is a children's book written by T.J. Horton and published in 2018. This book has rightly introduced children to the practice of Yoga. Yoga has been described as the movement of the body into a certain shape. The particular shape is called a pose. It has been established that there is a pose for everything. The body can, therefore, be transformed into the shape of an aeroplane, a mermaid or a mountain. Making of different poses has been referred to as practice.

Different types of poses have been explained and demonstrated. To do the butterfly pose, one has to sit on the floor with knees bent. The bottom of the feet is brought together and then the legs are flapped like butterfly wings. This process starts slowly and then the leg-wings are flapped faster and faster. The eyes are closed and the one practising imagines to be a butterfly soaring. Among the various poses are the flamingo, mountain waterfall, runner, dolphin, etc. Each of the poses has been designed for a particular situation. The various poses have also been put under different classifications such as the sun salutation, the garden poses and the group poses also known as Agro-Yoga.

I see this book as an introduction to the practice of Yoga. Various poses have been explained and further demonstrated with clear illustrations. Yoga has been simplified, and it is easy for individuals to practice it on their own without coaching. Readers are trained to appreciate the importance of each of the poses and their meaning. It is not only the physical body that is trained but the mental faculty through meditation. I see Yoga as a discipline because it commits the practitioners to a routine behaviour which becomes part of their lives. The poses are done with determination. The elements of the practice of Yoga have been fairly explained and demonstrated.

It is easy for children to read this book because the font sizes are visible. There are clear diagrams showing the various demonstrations. Children wouldn't need a dictionary in the reading process because the words and sentences are within their comprehension. There are few rhyming words which will improve children's literature. The contents are interspersed with the academic story of the main character making it more entertaining. Advance vocabulary has been explained and clearly demonstrated. The author has a good command over the English language. She has written this book with impeccable grammar. This book is highly recommended for both children and adults. Unfortunately, the lazy type may not like the various Yoga poses.

However, I realized there was poor capitalization of words and sentences. The upper and lower cases have been mixed together, and children may take this as a normal way of writing. If the author has employed a special way of writing it should be specified so readers may know exactly what to expect.

Although I am impressed by the work done by T. J Horton, I had to remove one star from her ratings because I see the limitations above as significantly undermining this piece of work. I hope she will fix this and present the book for another review. I, therefore, rate her book Nora Santini: Engineer and Yogini 3 out of 4 stars.

Nora Santini: Engineer and Yogini
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwame1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love the concept of a book that demystifies yoga, making it accessible to kids, as all kinds of people can benefit from it. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It is nice for children to be introduced into such a serious subject, like yoga. You don't imagine children when you think about yoga. It might be interesting for adults too, like a Yoga for dummies kind of book.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I saw an article about schools offering things like yoga in lieu of detention. I think this is a great idea and this book might be appropriate for instructing younger people who may need to diminish their anger and anxiety.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thanks for the review. I can’t imagine children self-learning yoga from a book though. I would have thought an instructor would be needed to make sure the poses are done correctly.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I think I would maybe give this book a skim, considering that I have always been fascinated with yoga, and would appreciate a simplified version. Nice review!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Sounds like an informative book for those interested in what Yoga is, irrespective of whether they are children. Sounds like it can be enjoyed by adults and children alike. It has many Yoga poses that readers can experiment with and see which one they can nail more easily than others. Good job on this review!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I don't know anything about Yoga. This book sounds enjoyable to children. It sounds like a fun way to exercise. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your insightful review. I've heard about yoga a lot but haven't gotten around doing it or even reading amply about it, too. You've made the book sound simple and understandable enough for beginners and even kids so that's quite helpful. I also agree with you that the errors need to be sorted to suit younger still-learning audiences better.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I never thought of ever reading such a story for children. I always thought yoga as boring to children. But this book really changed my thoughts.

Return to “Children's Books”