Review by mayven -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
mayven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayven.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by mayven -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by mayven » 01 Jun 2018, 04:02

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book is about Toni. He is a superhero. He likes to do simple tasks at home, with friends, and with his mom. It shows that superheroes also have ordinary lives when they are not saving the world. The book depicts an ordinary kid doing ordinary household chores, despite his superpowers.

I like the vivid and vibrant colors used in the book. The book is nicely written with simple, repetitive words, which is excellent for babies and kids. I also love the personal values embodied in the book. The book is teaching kids to help their mom at home and to do household chores. It also teaches kids to eat nutritious food and value reading.

What I like the most is the illustration. The illustrator used a simple physical appearance of the main character. I could easily remember and recognize Toni throughout the book. If I could recognize him easily, the kids would also be able to remember him that easy. The author did a good job of illustrating Toni.

I dislike some “blank” pages. The illustrator used two pages just to illustrate one task. One page contains the text that does not depict the illustration. These blank pages may create confusion when you view the book on an online platform. For example, when Toni likes to dust, you can’t see him doing the task. Instead, what you can see is a drawing of cabinets and furniture. Some of the pictures don’t have appropriate clothe settings. For example, when Toni is drawing, he doesn’t have to wear his superhero costume. If the author has to depict Toni as an ordinary kid despite his superpowers, Toni should be wearing casual street clothes at home.

My rating is 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the flaws I have mentioned, the book is a good read. The book is intended for kids who are learning to read. It is a nice starting book for kids. The words are simple. Anyone can understand, easily. The author has chosen the words carefully, keeping in mind her audience. If I have to read it with my child, he will remember this book easily. Parents can even use it as a bedtime story together with the other editions. This is an interesting book for pre-school kids, and babies. It sparks imagination and instills values in reading. I will recommend it to parents who want to start their kids to learn reading at a young age.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like mayven's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”