Official Review: Special Food for Sam (ePub) by Dr. Nicole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Special Food for Sam (ePub) by Dr. Nicole

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Special Food for Sam (ePub)" by Dr. Nicole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've been blessed in life. As a child I was allergic to peaches, and I have a very mild (if not nonexistent) allergy to bees, but otherwise I'm entirely allergy free! Woohoo! However, I have known people with allergies and seen first hand how they affect their lives. I've seen my ex sit for over an hour in immense pain every time she accidentally ingested the slightest amount of gluten, and my fiancé has dealt with allergies her entire life, from food allergens to scents. Allergies are awful, and coincidentally we recently had a conversation about how people with allergies are often mocked and told they're merely being sensitive.

That mindset makes books like Special Food for Sam: Allergies by Dr. Nicole Audet so important. Dr. Nicole is a family doctor and children's book author who focuses on various health concepts, illnesses and injuries. There are eight books in the Felix and Booboo series, and they feature young Felix and his magical doctor's bag that's full of various things a doctor would use, but they're all cute animate objects with names and personalities. Booboo is the stethoscope, but there are also others including Hot, the thermometer; Mr. Long, the measuring tape; and Toc, the reflex hammer.

In Special Food for Sam: Allergies, the focus is clearly allergies. Sam has won a gold medal in soccer, and Felix offers to bake him some cookies as a reward. That's when Sam springs his big surprise on him: he's allergic to eggs, nuts and cow milk. That's not going to make baking cookies very easy at all, but Felix doesn't want to let him down!

The writing in Special Food for Sam: Allergies walks that thin line between educational and still comprehendible for children. The various characters manage to discuss what allergies are, what happens when someone who's allergic to something comes in contact with their allergen and whether or not allergies are contagious. In Felix and Booboo's world, it seems like everything is alive, and the eggs, milk and nuts get upset as they watch cookies being made without them. They even go as far as to explain how nuts are full of Omega-3, how milk is rich in calcium and how eggs prevent cookies from being hard and flat. While all of that learning is happening, it's still very entertaining, and for those who enjoy doing voices while they read aloud they'll have plenty of fun opportunities here.

The illustrations are also lovely. Mylène Villeneuve did a fantastic job with the expressions on characters' faces: I could feel the rage on Milky's face when she learned she wouldn't be in the cookies, and I could see the concern on Felix's face when he asks if he can catch Sam's allergies by touching him. I reviewed a digital version of the book on my phone, so the images were all rather small, but even there I was easily able to read the words on the pages.

I really enjoyed Special Food for Sam: Allergies, and it's something I hope lots of kids read so they can learn how dangerous allergies can be. The recommended age on Amazon is 4-9, and I agree with that, especially if you're willing to help answer questions younger children might have. I do wish some things were explained a little more; Omega-3, lactose and calcium are all mentioned but not defined. Everything else is explained very well, and these can easily be looked up online if you don't have knowledge about them already. This is absolutely the only flaw I saw with the book, so I'm happy to give it 4 out of 4 stars. People who have kids with allergies probably won't need this book for their children, but if your kids have ever asked why they can't bring peanuts or peanut butter to school, this is a perfect way to explain it to them.

Special Food for Sam (ePub)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Wow! I'd like to have a copy of this book. I enjoy reading illustrated children's book especially when there are animated objects involved. Based on your review, this one is also very educational so I appreciate the book more even if I haven't read it yet.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This is a very current and appropriate topic for children. It sounds like the author handled it well.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

I agree that this is a good book to have children read to understand others allergies. Having worked with children before it is a topic that comes up often. Why can't I bring a PB&J sandwich or why don't they serve peanut butter. This book can be used as a tool for a good guided discussion. Thank you for your review.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I like your use of a personal anecdote at the beginning as an attention grabber for this review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I will listen to your advice on doing voices while reading this book, I think it will be a very amusing experience. It is nice to see such a book, written by a family doctor.

Return to “Children's Books”