Review by kcav719 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
kcav719
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcav719.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by kcav719 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by kcav719 » 28 May 2018, 20:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Toni the Superhero, by R.D. Base is an incredible children’s book aimed to teach young children how to read. I babysit three children almost every weekend, and consistently throughout the week, and one of them is too young to read, and another is just learning. Books like this one are exactly the type of thing that I read to them or with them before bedtime. The simple sentence structure is perfect for children, the pictures make the book even more exciting, and it is perfect for it’s intended audience. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This perfect review may seem a bit extreme, but given the type of book it is, I could not have imagined a better book. The children would love it, they often like to compare themselves to characters in books, and Toni is a perfect role model for them to imitate. For example, Toni is shown performing everyday tasks, such as swimming, reading, and eating, which many kids love to do. He is not shown doing anything that would not be considered good behavior, which is good because it does not inspire copycat misbehaving.

Not only is he a good role model, but the fact that he is doing the same tasks that kids do can be a huge confidence booster. Many children feel out of place and unable to control the things around them when they are young, since so much is decided for them, but being able to connect with this character in their book can be a huge reassurance that they are on the right track.

Not only is Toni a good character, which in itself is a valid reason to score this book so well, but the sentence structures are simple and repetitive, which is ideal for teaching children to read. The way the book is written and the syntax make the book a good beginning book for kids. The plot line, colorful pictures, and admirable characters will appeal to children and get them excited about reading, which is very important. Many beginner readers have to read basic lists of words, with no plot and no excitement, which can be very dull and discouraging. This book achieves the same thing those lists do, but also creates a fun and motivational environment for kids to learn.

The children I babysit would love this book, as would many of the children in the dance classes I teach and the girl scout troops I run. It is a universally appealing book, that achieves everything it is intended to and more. This is a book that I would recommend to parents of children that I know, and I cannot wait for its publication. I believe that this book truly is perfect for children and could leave a large and positive impact on them and their experiences and opinions regarding reading books.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like kcav719's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”