Review by CarrieAnnLeClair -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
CarrieAnnLeClair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieannleclair.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by CarrieAnnLeClair -- Toni the Superhero

Post by CarrieAnnLeClair » 26 May 2018, 17:04

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This would be a terrific book for parents of young children who are not yet able to read by themselves, as the text helps expose children to the repetitive nature of many other children's books. I believe that children who have just begun reading will also find this book easy, and enjoyable. I gave this book all 4 stars because I did not see any errors. I also really enjoyed how the illustrations followed the story of Toni.

Toni the Superhero, is an enjoyable book that could show children that real people can also be superheroes. Other than being pictured flying on one page, Toni does not appear to have any "super powers" which is great for children to see. It is important for them to realize that they can be superheroes by being decent human beings. It is important for children to know that superheroes are not only found in comic books, but are also found all around them, every day.

Throughout the book, Toni is pictured in regular clothes, as well as his superhero outfit. This allows children to picture themselves in his place, doing everyday things, but also being super. I especially enjoyed that Toni was pictured as an unmasked superhero in the end.

I found that the details in this book were incredible! While the cartoon characters were very simple, each element of the illustrations was very easily recognized due to the amazing detail that the illustrator included in each scenario where Toni was depicted, or not depicted. They even went as far as to include a realistic depth to the pool, and enough shadowing to make the characters stand out on the page. The only issue that I find with the illustrations, is the lack of an adult figure in the scene where the children are swimming. By adding this minor detail, the book would also serve as a realistic depiction of every day safety requirements.

In my work with young children in the classroom setting, I generally see superheroes depicted as adult, white, men. In Toni the Superhero I found it refreshing that the superhero was not only a young boy, but also that Toni has a darker skin tone. It is important for young children to be introduced to a number of different possibilities, as they will be exposed to many different people in their everyday lives.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like CarrieAnnLeClair's review? Post a comment saying so!

The BookWorm Nagham
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 104
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham » 04 Jun 2018, 10:09

Finding kids superheroes is rare, especially dark skinned ones, it's really refreshing don't you think?
I really liked the part where you said that everyone can be a superhero by being a decent human being, nowadays not everyone seem to be aware of that.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”