Review by Adebisi Oluwatoni -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Adebisi Oluwatoni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebisi-oluwatoni.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Adebisi Oluwatoni -- Toni the Superhero

Post by Adebisi Oluwatoni » 26 May 2018, 15:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the superhero by R.D. Base
Blurb: A colourful picture book with a superhero character to help young readers in leaning words and comprehending them. A must have book for any young kid.

Summary: The book is a children’s book following the main character, a young boy called Toni who is a superhero. It exposes us to various aspects about him and his life.

Review: I will give the book a 4 out of 4 stars because it was a fun read for me, it is a children’s book and the length is perfect due to the shorter attention span of children, it has beautiful illustrations with bright colours that will be very attractive to young readers and uses simple English that is easy to follow. I liked the book from the cover, I found the cover quite funny and typical, children love dressing up as superheroes with all their improvised costumes and I found that really cute. A lot of other children will be able to identify with that.

Another thing I like about the book is the fact that there are no errors, this is probably because it is made up of simple sentences so children can follow but I liked this any way, it gives off a polished feel and I can be sure the writer edited and proofread the book. The illustrations also were very good. I love how the illustrator paid attention to various aspects about art like shading, perspective and shadows, she paid attention to details like the background making it also tell parts of the story in alignment with the words, I noted the predominance of green, purple and yellow which are some of my favourite colours.

The illustrations also sent some messages that I believe are good values for children to learn, some of which are eating healthy foods including foods and vegetables and colour equality. Asides the main character who is dark skinned with short kinky hair, other characters with different skin colours and hair types were included and I think that is a good attempt to show children that the can interact or have fun with anybody despite cultural or racial differences.

This is a book I would definitely recommend for mothers with beginning level readers especially those who have a more artistic inclination as the colours will keep their attention fixed on the book and the easy words will improve their budding vocabulary.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Adebisi Oluwatoni's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”