Official Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Serendipity Mystery" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi is Book #7 in the Diary of a Snoopy Cat children’s series. Inca is a Siberian kitty who runs a detective agency in London. Her team includes her kitty siblings, two dogs, and one very smart hamster. While on vacation with Inca’s human mom in Sri Lanka, the detectives get involved with the case of an ancient sword and other valuable objects stolen from a local museum. Two thieves posed as policemen and committed the robbery after first handcuffing the security guard in the basement.

I enjoyed this light mystery which features a likable main character and eclectic cast of sidekicks. In this installment, two Sri Lanka locals are on hand to assist Inca’s team – a young elephant named Meena and a turtle named Rani. Children will easily be able to follow the clues sprinkled through the story, such as a security photo showing a scar on the neck of one of the thieves. The writing is easy to understand, with the exception of a few sophisticated words (e.g. - gaggle, agitated, oust, and ambled).

The plot often goes off track with sightseeing jaunts, encounters with local animals, etc. There is a long section where Inca gets lost in the forest and encounters a leopard and her two cubs; this part feels unnecessary and drags the story a bit. One scene involving a python seems scary for children, but the story is light-hearted otherwise. After a while, I became impatient for the “bones” of the mystery to move along in a more cohesive manner.

There are nice touches that showcase the country’s customs and sights. For example, it is explained that Meena’s mother, Mama Elephant, has the important job of carrying wedding couples on her back on the way to their respective wedding ceremonies. The detectives also have fun visiting a green tea plantation.

The illustrations are cute, but they are few and far between. Also, the pictures sometimes don’t relate well to the plot details and are just a depiction of a particular character or two that is being discussed – for example, Meena the baby elephant and her mother. In some cases, the illustrations are relatively small and feel like an afterthought rather than an integral part of the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an entertaining read with well-defined characters. However, the mystery moves forward in fits and starts. I would recommend the book for children ages 5-9. Older kids would likely be interested in more mature stories. As it is a long chapter book, it is more suitable as a read-aloud to the younger set, with a chapter or two at a time.

Serendipity Mystery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a cute series for kids. I love the concept of a detective cat, and that each book in the series stands of its own. Too bad the plot often goes off track, and that there aren't enough illustrations. I am not the target audience, but I am glad you found the book entertaining. Great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! Although the plot goes off track a lot, I liked that the characters went sightseeing around Sri Lanka and there was an explanation of the interesting places they visited.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

bookowlie wrote: 19 May 2018, 20:12 There are nice touches that showcase the country’s customs and sights. For example, it is explained that Meena’s mother, Mama Elephant, has the important job of carrying wedding couples on her back on the way to their respective wedding ceremonies. The detectives also have fun visiting a green tea plantation.
You know, as much as we've seen from beloved Inca, yours is the first review that really opened my eyes to the positivity it reflects from other cultures. I love that many of the mysteries stem from travel and the customs of other peoples.

Thanks for the review!!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the great review, it is really nice that there is a discussion of various customs and traditions from different peoples in the book.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks NL Hartje and gen_g! This is the second book I've reviewed from the Diary of a Snoopy Cat series. NL Hartje, I agree that it's nice to see other countries and cultures featured in the books. Actually, in the previous installment I read, the main culture being discussed was vampires although Inca and the crew did travel to Transylvania. :)
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I've read a couple of the snoopy cat's books. The plot is always captivating, but the illustrations do not fit and are always small. I think that's usually a flaw in this series. On the other hand, I'm sure kids will love to be introduced to animals that live in Sri Lanka even if they are as dangerous as a python. Great review! Thanks.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I like the sound of the Sri Lankan setting, and it was a clever idea to add the elephants to the usual team. The mystery involving objects disappearing from a museum sounds ideal for the 5-9 age range.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a cute mystery. This series always reminds me of the show "Wonder Pets". I like the cultural connection also.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Butterscotch Cherrie - I agree the mystery of the stolen objects would be interesting to kids that age. I also like that the story was set in Sri Lanka because it is an unique setting for a children's story.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hate that the story drags a bit especially in a children's book. It really needs to capture their attention. Still, I love this series, and the cover is great. You've been able to review a lot of these! I love being able to review a series.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 May 2018, 18:20 I hate that the story drags a bit especially in a children's book. It really needs to capture their attention. Still, I love this series, and the cover is great. You've been able to review a lot of these! I love being able to review a series.
This is only the second one I've read in this series. :) Still, it's nice to read a book where I'm already familiar with the main characters.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I still haven't read any of the Snoopy Cat series, although it is on my list. They sound quite cute, and I am such a sucker for mystery stories. Thanks for the review!
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

It is great that there are books out there for children that not only has a mystery going on, but is also teaching them things they wouldn't ordinarily learn from simple story books. Too bad the illustrator didn't do a better job of keeping the pictures more interesting and involved with the story. I enjoyed your review, bookowlie. Perhaps I can recommend this book series to my 7-year-old grandchild who is interested in reading chapter books now.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Of the Snoopy Cat series, I believe I've read 4 of them and enjoyed each and every one, so I'm sure I'll love this one, as well. I especially like the idea of "visiting" Sri Lanka in this tale and look forward to adding it to my "shelf." Thanks for the introduction!

Return to “Children's Books”