Official Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by Manang Muyang »

R.F. Kristi is on a roll! I believe Inca's fans will lap up all the books featuring this Siberian darling. I love that this one is set in Sri Lanka with the country's native animals having major roles.

Bookowlie, you may just be the "official reviewer" of this series in the way that Kandscreeley is the "official reviewer" for "The Magi Charter" books. I am happy that we have authors here that may well be on the same path of J.K. Rowling or Jeff Kinney (of the "Wimpy Kid" fame).
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote: 21 May 2018, 22:41 R.F. Kristi is on a roll! I believe Inca's fans will lap up all the books featuring this Siberian darling. I love that this one is set in Sri Lanka with the country's native animals having major roles.

Bookowlie, you may just be the "official reviewer" of this series in the way that Kandscreeley is the "official reviewer" for "The Magi Charter" books. I am happy that we have authors here that may well be on the same path of J.K. Rowling or Jeff Kinney (of the "Wimpy Kid" fame).
Thanks Miriam! I have only read two books from this series so far, although both books were read this month. I am sure there are other members here who have read at least two and maybe more. :) It's funny you mentioned Kandscreeley! I also thought of the fact that she reviewed several books from the Elf series when I picked the second Inca book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Wow! Inca's team is growing bigger, and literally with bigger furry friends! I have read and reviewed the 5th book of this series and I can say from this review that Inca's detective team has totally leveled up. :tiphat:
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

What I enjoyed most about this book is that it mentioned cultural traits of another country, one kids may have never heard of, in a very kid-friendly way. It is was an easy and entertaining read. I do agree that the age range should be about 5-9, not 7-12. The plot is very simple and would be boring to older kids.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Animals working together to restore the sword is a good illustration of teamwork. A perfect lesson to kids. Thanks for the review.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I just finished reading the book and I just don't believe that it was very good. I do like the illustrations and the fact that it does give some insight as to animals and certain things that can that are really of the culture. But I have to rate the book 2 out of 4
flocy92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flocy92.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by flocy92 »

I read the sample of this book and found it very cute and interesting, although i am not the intended age group i am a sucker for mystery books and animals. I also loved the reference to animals of a different culture. i think this book will be enjoyed by young curious minds and animal lovers. too bad the pictures are not as detailed, i think that`s what makes it more captivating especially for children`s books. thanks for the review.
chelhack
Currently Reading:

Post by chelhack »

I was not thrilled with this book even as for it being a children's book. I kept waiting for it to really grab my attention but it did not do that. Also, there was a couple of time while in the jungle it seemed that Inca was just was off or it seemed to be not relevant to this book. I could only give it a 2 out of 4 rating.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I love this review, aside from having mentioned the good points of the story, you gave a good summary without spoiling the ending of this adventure. I have read the book as well and given it a review myself. Your review is really great!
chelhack
Currently Reading:

Post by chelhack »

Though this was a good review I was not especially crazy or even really cared for this book at all
Chelsea N. Hackett
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

It's indeed a charming little book which is both educative and engaging. I also gave it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars mainly because of the illustrations which were not up to scratch.Thanks for a great review.
Gilda_Octavo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilda-octavo.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Gilda_Octavo »

Children are hyper nowadays and we need to catch up with them,thereby reading books and other instructional materials should be designed in such a way that their academic needs be addressed.the book is recommended for kindergarten pupils as a starter toward a higher level of learning as it depicts characters with a slower pacing in terms of acting out.
sareyn
Currently Reading: The Burning Maze
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sareyn.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by sareyn »

I also read this book! I found it enjoyable, but I have to agree with you on the pacing. The characters were cute and I did look that there was a little info about Sri Lankan customs and culture. I think your review is on point!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Could the book also fall in the category of animated stories? I thought so, after reading the review. Sorry about the part when the plot goes off track. Thank you for sharing the review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

There are nice touches that showcase the country’s customs and sights. For example, it is explained that Meena’s mother, Mama Elephant, has the important job of carrying wedding couples on her back on the way to their respective wedding ceremonies. The detectives also have fun visiting a green tea plantation.
This is a great thing for children's book.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)

Return to “Children's Books”