Official Review: The Invisible Blue Rabbits

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: The Invisible Blue Rabbits

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Invisible Blue Rabbits" by Kathy Lindsey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Invisible Blue Rabbits is an illustrated children’s storybook written by Kathy Lindsey. Every year, one blue rabbit is chosen to become the Easter Bunny. To celebrate Jesus’ ascension into heaven on the day of Easter, the Easter Bunny must deliver candy-filled baskets to all of the children in the community. A young, blue rabbit named Donald is chosen for this special task, but he adamantly refuses because he lacks the courage to do the job. Although his father and sisters are very disappointed with his decision, Donald is much too afraid of coyotes, storms, and eagles to become the Easter Bunny. Not wanting to hurt his father, he turns to God in prayer and after a little heart-to-heart with his dad, Donald changes his mind.

I absolutely loved this short story. It contained several lessons that will be applicable to children, for example, overcoming bullying, overcoming fears, asking God for help and, maintaining self-confidence. Children will also learn about Easter in a friendly way, but without any concepts that might be disturbing such as the violent crucifixion of Christ. I truly appreciated this. The author also incorporated a few biological facts about rabbits in her story. For instance, she stated that female rabbits can have several litters in a year and these young rabbits are called kittens. Since rabbits are a common family pet, children will surely be delighted to learn more about these animals. Furthermore, the story leaves many unanswered questions to a child’s imagination. For instance, how did Donald’s brother die? Could this be the reason why Donald is scared of so many things?

Another thing which I admired about this story is that it included a positive view of traditional gender roles. In the story, only male rabbits can become the Easter Bunny. However, Donald’s father told him that in the future, girls will also be chosen for this position because the world is changing and they must change with it. I think that this small tidbit of progressiveness can positively shape a child’s perception of gender roles and equality.

The fonts used in the book are quite large. The language used is also appropriate and simple. Additionally, a range of emotions is expressed by the characters such as disappointment, sadness, fear, and happiness. Children will have no trouble reading and comprehending this interesting story by themselves.

The only thing that required more effort in this book is the illustrations. In my opinion, they could have been bigger. Brighter colors could have also been used since this will appeal more to children. I also noticed one thing that did not make sense. In the story, blue rabbits are invisible, but Donald’s mother advised him to hide from hunters if he heard loud noises. However, I do not think children will notice the impossibility of hunting invisible prey. This book seemed to be professionally edited and I only spotted one error.

Despite my few concerns about The Invisible Blue Rabbits, I will rate it 4 out of 4 stars because it is educational, interesting and it activates the imagination. I would recommend it to children aged seven and over. This is also an excellent book to be read aloud to a Sunday-school class because it facilitates Christian learning.

The Invisible Blue Rabbits
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I loved your detailed review! It is so very heartwarming when I saw that the book included a progressive view of gender roles - we really do need to start educating our school-goers about gender equality. Not only is this book fun and interesting for children, it also packs many meaningful lessons. I'm sure once the illustrations are edited, it would be a great book. It actually reminds me of a book that I have reviewed, titled Stone Circle, a magical realism YA story with progressive gender roles as well as lots of adventure.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love the fact that Donald expresses all the characteristics of a human child. I especially like how he was so sensitive to his father's feelings and turn to God for a solution to this problem.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

very nice review which opens eyes about the charm contained in this book especially a rabbit which is named as Donald that just behaves as kid with all the feelings of child
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This is such a cute way to combine the spiritual and secular celebrations of Easter.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

KristyKhem, you have such a smooth-talking way of writing a review. This book, The Invisible Blue Rabbits by Kathy Lindsey, is one I would love for my grandchildren to read. There is much going on in this story, and your review has expressed the beauty of this children's book. It is too bad that the illustrations aren't larger and more colorful. The illustrations in themselves often tell the story for the very young child who doesn't read yet.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

teacherjh wrote: 21 May 2018, 12:32 This is such a cute way to combine the spiritual and secular celebrations of Easter.
I totally agree! I haven't seen much children's storybooks about Easter, so this was excellent.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 22:58 I loved your detailed review! It is so very heartwarming when I saw that the book included a progressive view of gender roles - we really do need to start educating our school-goers about gender equality. Not only is this book fun and interesting for children, it also packs many meaningful lessons. I'm sure once the illustrations are edited, it would be a great book. It actually reminds me of a book that I have reviewed, titled Stone Circle, a magical realism YA story with progressive gender roles as well as lots of adventure.
Thanks! I love children's books with lots of little lessons like this one. Fun and educational!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This seems to be a fun read for children and a good introduction to the concept of gender equality. However, I am not so keen on the use of "Donald" as the main character's name since I always remember "Donald" as a "Duck" (and Walt Disney is to blame!) or as the clown Ronald (of the golden arches).

Thanks, KristyKhem, for a heartwarming review.

P.S. I wish to visit Trinidad and Tobago someday.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your well-written, thorough review! You made a very good point about wanting bigger and more colorful pictures. It's nice to see a children's book that explains the meaning of Easter without anything too disturbing. I like kids' books that are both educational and entertaining, so this one sounds like a winner!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

I have a niece and I would want to read this to her because of the good life lessons this book teaches especially the reliance on God and overcoming fears.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Miriam Molina wrote: 21 May 2018, 22:27 This seems to be a fun read for children and a good introduction to the concept of gender equality. However, I am not so keen on the use of "Donald" as the main character's name since I always remember "Donald" as a "Duck" (and Walt Disney is to blame!) or as the clown Ronald (of the golden arches).

Thanks, KristyKhem, for a heartwarming review.

P.S. I wish to visit Trinidad and Tobago someday.
Hi Miriam, I also associate Donald with a Duck because of Walt Disney cartoons! Tobago is the better of the two islands - very touristy and lots of incredible beaches :)
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Plfern wrote: 21 May 2018, 12:45 KristyKhem, you have such a smooth-talking way of writing a review. This book, The Invisible Blue Rabbits by Kathy Lindsey, is one I would love for my grandchildren to read. There is much going on in this story, and your review has expressed the beauty of this children's book. It is too bad that the illustrations aren't larger and more colorful. The illustrations in themselves often tell the story for the very young child who doesn't read yet.
Thanks :D I'm sure your grandkids will love this book, it is such a nice story. Its true - the pictures are what makes a book interesting for the little ones who can't read yet.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

charmaineperit wrote: 22 May 2018, 20:20 I have a niece and I would want to read this to her because of the good life lessons this book teaches especially the reliance on God and overcoming fears.
I am sure she will enjoy this story :)
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

crediblereading2 wrote: 20 May 2018, 23:33 I love the fact that Donald expresses all the characteristics of a human child. I especially like how he was so sensitive to his father's feelings and turn to God for a solution to this problem.
I agree! You did a wonderful job with this review, highlighting both strengths and areas for improvement. Thanks for sharing!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Children's Books”