Official Review: Livy Little by Gabriella Gugliotta-Comes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Livy Little by Gabriella Gugliotta-Comes

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Livy Little" by Gabriella Gugliotta-Comes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Livy Little: Learn to Count with Livy Little by Gabriella Gugliotta-Comes is a children’s picture book that explores the joy of counting. Livy Little is a little bear who loves to count basically anything - her toes, cats, butterflies, food items during a meal, etc. Her only frustration occurs when she miscounts and has to figure out what she did wrong. Follow along as Livy finds adventure in numbers throughout the day.

I enjoyed this short book as it introduces counting skills in an entertaining way. It shows kids the practical application of simple math in everyday life such as counting how many types of food you are eating or how many fingers you have. Livy is shown having fun which can encourage children to enjoy math from an early age.

The little bear’s enthusiasm is contagious. You can’t help but smile at the joy she exudes while counting. This is reinforced with the refrain, “What wonders can be done with numbers!” Even routine tasks are included; Livy counts the number of brushstrokes while brushing her hair and keeps track of how many chores she completes before bedtime. Kids might not find chores so bothersome if the tasks could be part of a counting game.

The story has an easy-to-understand plot and overall theme. However, there are a few word choices that seem too advanced for children, such as “profusely,” “privilege,” and “appeased.” Also, each page contains multiple paragraphs that are relatively long for this type of story. As a result, the book seems better suited as a read-aloud rather than a learn-to-read story. The breakfast scene, in particular, is busy and goes off track a bit with Livy’s introspective musings.

The author’s colorful and whimsical illustrations are a good fit with the narrative. The only issue I had is that a few of the pages contain more than one type of item Livy is counting. For example, one page discusses a wide range of items that Livy is adding within each classification – cats, mice, sashes, fingers, toes, eyelashes, hats, and doormats. I think having so many items on the same page can be overwhelming at a young age. Also, the fingers, toes, and eyelashes are not emphasized in the picture; instead, the bear is just shown standing in the middle of the room surrounded by the cats, hats, and other items.

This book has earned a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It is a fun, educational read that introduces simple counting skills to the younger set. The sometimes busy storyline and advanced words prevent me from giving the highest rating. I would recommend the story to children ages 2-6. Hopefully, the author will consider writing more books featuring such a cheerful, appealing character.

Livy Little
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Great review - and a great idea for a book, but the issues that you've picked up on are important, so I think the 3-star rating is spot-on.
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

I like that is presents a great way for kids to get into counting. This is a great review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A children’s picture book that explores counting sounds like a fun read. It is good that it shows kids the how to apply math in an easy-to-understand way. A pity the book missed his mark on some issues. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the nice review, it does seem like a great book for children.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This seems like a really good book to read to kids as a bedtime story--and also a good introduction to maths! XD It's true that the words used may be a bit too difficult for children to grasp, but overall this seems like an adorable read to me :)

Thank you for your review--it was very detailed!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback! Although there are a few advanced words in the story, it might encourage children to ask their parents what the words mean. They can expand their vocabulary that way.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

bookowlie wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:02 Her only frustration occurs when she miscounts and has to figure out what she did wrong.
I can't say I'm a children's book aficionado (although I did read my two children through their early reader stage), but I think this is the first counting book I've seen where the character miscounts. I think its a fantastic inclusion! Kids can get so disheartened by their mistakes and I love that counting errors are addressed here. I'm sold!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

What a cute way to introduce young ones to math. I love the idea of counting the brushstrokes when brushing the hair. Kids would love to do that before going to bed. And I agree that the range of items to be counted shouldn't be so big. Indeed, as the saying says "less is more." Wonderful review. Thanks.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 10:54
bookowlie wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:02 Her only frustration occurs when she miscounts and has to figure out what she did wrong.
I can't say I'm a children's book aficionado (although I did read my two children through their early reader stage), but I think this is the first counting book I've seen where the character miscounts. I think its a fantastic inclusion! Kids can get so disheartened by their mistakes and I love that counting errors are addressed here. I'm sold!
You make a good point! It might make a child feel better to know he/she is not the only one who makes mistakes.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Kalin Adi wrote: 20 May 2018, 13:10 What a cute way to introduce young ones to math. I love the idea of counting the brushstrokes when brushing the hair. Kids would love to do that before going to bed. And I agree that the range of items to be counted shouldn't be so big. Indeed, as the saying says "less is more." Wonderful review. Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words. :) I agree that kids would enjoy counting the brushstrokes when brushing your hair. It would become like a fun game.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This character sounds so cute! I don't have children, but I want to read this book myself. I can picture little kids counting along with Livy. I can see an issue with too many things to count on the same page. Still worth a read! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I enjoy reading your reviews on children's books. I feel like they help me know what to look for if I were to choose a book for a child, and your points are well thought out. I can tell, for instance, that I probably wouldn't buy this for my 1-year-old goddaughter, but it may make a good gift for her in a few years, as her parents like to read. Thanks for the review.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a fun book! Completely agree with NL Hartje about the mistakes Livy makes when counting. That is an excellent inclusion. This does sound like it would be a bit daunting for the age group that is actually learning to count. Children are taught to count at a really young age, well before they are ready to read paragraphs and difficult words. Nonetheless, I think I would read this one to my children if I had any :) Lovely review.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I enjoy reading and reviewing kids' books also and the one thing I dislike is when the illustrations don't match up to the story. In my opinion, some of the ones I have read also need to incorporate brighter colors because that's what appeals to children the most.

Return to “Children's Books”