Review by Nireenity -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Nireenity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nireenity.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Nireenity -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nireenity » 16 May 2018, 16:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a cheerful and fun book specifically tailored to readers of a very young age. The vividly colored images which consume each page and the simple sentences, make it an ideal way for parents and caretakers of young children to spend time reading and bonding. The language of the book is basic and this makes it a very easy read.

While reading, I was very impressed by the positivity of the book. Toni is portrayed as a young superhero of color. This is noteworthy as it gives young children, particularly those of color, a role model whom they could easily aspire to imitate. In today’s society, it is at times a challenge to find positive icons and meaningful stories for children in this demographic. The book Toni the Superhero could, therefore, serve a deeper purpose in changing that reality and encouraging more authors of children’s books to produce similar works.

Throughout the book, the activities in which Toni involves himself, such as coloring and jumping, are normal activities for children. However, the author cleverly includes "nobler" activities, such as helping with chores, rescuing animals and eating a very balanced and healthy diet. All these aspects work together to provide positive reinforcement while teaching children the up-building things that they could do as they learn and grow.

One of the most outstanding characteristics of the book is the visual imagery and artistry. The colors used by the artist are bright and attractive and fill all the pages. This is useful to hold the attention of the young children to whom the book is read. The details in each image could be further used to teach additional lessons as well as objects, shapes and colors.

Overall, I was very impressed with the book and the goal of the author in writing it. If I were forced to find a least favorite aspect, it would be the short length. The book literally had the reader yearning for more at the end. Of course, this criticism could quickly be countered by the fact that the book specifically targets an audience with a relatively short attention span. In that regard, therefore, the length is especially appropriate for those audiences.

Being quite pleased with Toni the Superhero, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author was successful in creating a positive and bright piece of work that could be used to teach and entertain young readers. I keenly look forward to reading the other stories in the Toni the Superhero series.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Nireenity's review? Post a comment saying so!

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 02 Jun 2018, 07:47

Sounds nice. There must be typo in the description of the book, which states it's over 1000 pages. That is a mistake, right?

Social Butterfly
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-social-butterfly.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01LFV5SI6

Post by Social Butterfly » 04 Jun 2018, 11:45

FictionLover wrote: ↑
02 Jun 2018, 07:47
Sounds nice. There must be typo in the description of the book, which states it's over 1000 pages. That is a mistake, right?
Yeah I saw it. It said it was 1855 pages so I was expecting quite a bulk

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”