Review by Tonya++ -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Tonya++
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonya.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Tonya++ -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Tonya++ » 12 May 2018, 07:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I give the book “Toni the Superhero” by R.D Base four out of four stars. The book was excellent and exactly as the description explained. If I were to give this book to my son, I am sure he would enjoy it as it is easy to read. Repetition is important when teaching children as that is how they learn. The colors and graphics were enjoyable as well and pleasing to the eye. Illustration is an important tool in keeping a child’s attention. The graphics drew me in and I was able to understand everything I read by looking at the pictures in the book. If I were a kid, this would be my favorite story. It’s amazing that I enjoy it as an adult.

The book explained all of the main character Toni’s abilities and things he did. Hence the title stating that Toni is a superhero. Toni did various things such as clean and help with chores. Yes, Toni is a superhero but he has natural capabilities as well. The book is so simple and easy to read yet gives so much information about Toni and all that he can do. There are no grammatical errors in the book. Every word is spelled correctly and the punctuation is excellent. The book shows Toni in his natural habitat doing what he does best. Toni is a kid that many other kids can relate and look up to.

The book consist of about thirty pages. It’s short, simple, and to the point. The author of the book is a mother of three young boys. Her purpose in creating this book was to create something her boys could follow and understand easily. She not only did that, she also made the book fun to look at as though it was a movie.

One thing I noticed and that I really liked about this book is that Toni is a black boy. We live in a culture where many young black males do not see positive images of themselves. Toni is a positive image and role model for young boys of color and that stood out to me. It’s important to instill a sense of pride and positivity in them at young ages where they are growing and developing. There needs to be more books such as this where the “superhero” is finally someone of color.

I have absolutely nothing bad or negative to say about the book. I recommend this book to all children that are just learning to read. I recommend this book to all children who learn through repetition. This is a great book to introduce to your children. All in all this book was excellent and I enjoyed reading every page! I am sure you will too!

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tonya++'s review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”