Official Review: A dragon a princess and a should be knight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: A dragon a princess and a should be knight

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A dragon a princess and a should be knight" by Matthew Hudson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children's picture books usually do their best to balance two things: be silly and fun books that that teach children something. Many seem to do one or the other well, but it's been a long time since I saw one walk the line between the two as well as Matthew Hudson does it in his book A Dragon, a Princess and a Should be Knight. Not only will children learn about the importance of character and Christian values, they'll be laughing along the way.

The story is much like classic fables and begins with a King hiding his daughter, protecting her with a dragon, saying that anyone who can defeat the dragon will have her hand in marriage. Not only will the brave man get her as a prize, he'll earn half the kingdom as a wedding gift . While the majority of the people are far too scared to go up against a dragon, a few men try. Sir Fullofhimself is the first, and when he announces his plan to the king to defeat the dragon the king is excited to have him as a future son-in-law. Sadly, Sir Fullofhimself, "the most famous knight in all the kingdom" who "won all the tournaments" is easily killed by the dragon.

The story continues with other hilarious knights until an otherwise-ordinary boy tells the king he'll defeat the dragon, but he doesn't even want half of the kingdom, he's always loved the princess and all he cares about is her. The king laughs, wondering how someone who isn't a knight and who doesn't even have a weapon could possibly take on a ferocious dragon. The boy is confident, though, and the ending is hilarious, charming and educational.

The artwork is lovely too. Matthew has written two children's picture books and has used the same illustrator, Aneeza Ashraf, for both. The art is just like what's on the cover; it reminds me of improved bitmojis with layers of really sharp, colorful background behind them. It makes the images really pop, and the pages are big enough that the art is easy to see from a distance. The text was also easy to read, and there were some great, humorous details, especially on Sir Textsalot who has what seems like a mobile phone or computer monitor in his chest armor.

Books rarely surprise me the way that A Dragon, a Princess and a Should be Knight did, let alone children's books! I had a wonderful time reading it and it's something I want to share with everyone I know. The only people I wouldn't recommend this to are people who are so upset about God being mentioned in a book that they'll turn it away; everyone else should definitely check it out. For those who are both Christian and have children, the book is absolutely perfect! It was like the best Pixar or Disney movies, just as good for adults (or at least for this adult) as it is children. My rating is definitely 4 out of 4 stars, and the only flaw I found was a single error - a quotation mark that was accidentally attached to the wrong word.

A dragon a princess and a should be knight
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Thuletso
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thuletso »

A DRAGON A PRINCESS AND A SHOULD BE KNIGHT
Wow this is a wonderful book, I really enjoyed reading it
Montero002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Montero002 »

Really interesting, the story line is really close to David and Goliath. Nice one.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the names of the knights. That’s hilarious.
Angie Fushi

Post by Angie Fushi »

its intresting and also has great values to learn from it....i loved it
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

What age children is this for? Is it a picture book, or more of a children's chapter book?

I only ask because although I love "Sirfullofhimslef" and snorted at the inclusion of the name, I wonder if it translates to young readers? I don't think my kids would understand the meaning of "full of himself." Are the other names equally adult references or are there some more kid-friendly?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The story is typicall, there are too many to count, but I guess this one brings humor to the usual story. I mean, the knight Fullofhimself. That is enough said to know how the book will be. A fun experience I am sure. Thank you!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love the title, the cover, and the clever names. This seems like a promising book, especially considering how much you love it. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The cover art is quite vivid so it is great to know the artwork is consistently wonderful through out. I particularly love Sir Fullofhimself. That might be hard for a kid reading to himself to catch on to but if this book is being read out loud I don't think it would cause any hiccups. A Dragon, a Princess and a Should Be Knight sounds like a great book for kids. I enjoyed your description of who should steer clear of this one. Great review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This sounds like such a fun children's book. I’m going to have to take a closer look at this one. Thanks for a great review.
Jmeeyyy

Post by Jmeeyyy »

Wonderful story. I enjoy reading this and Im pretty sure kids will enjoy this too.
trulyfreeclub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by trulyfreeclub »

Sir Textsalot is such a funny name. I am sure that's kids will love this book. Thank you for the review. Kudos to the author.

Return to “Children's Books”