Review by smbblack76 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
smbblack76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smbblack76.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by smbblack76 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by smbblack76 » 08 May 2018, 14:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Out of the numerous kids’ books I have read, I was pleased to read Toni the Superhero with my young nieces and nephews, ages 1-5. This book is our introduction to Toni the Superhero and is book one in a planned series of books. This story was simple and easy to share with very young readers. It is not a traditional superhero book, but cute nonetheless.

Kids definitely identify with superheroes, but this book is different from your typical hero story, and it is easy to use Toni as an example in the book. Not by showing death defying feats or imaginative chaos but by the introduction to “normal” tasks in life. Toni can be seen in his hero gear. He colors, dances and plays but he also helps out around his home by washing dishes and sweeping up his home. What better way to get kids introduced to helping at home then by seeing a super hero help his mom around the house! Toni gives us a look at what superheroes do when they are just being themselves. Some of the character traits shine through in the authors story of what Toni does. He is friendly, kind to animals, helpful and likes to have fun.

The examples in Toni the Superhero can really aid a parent (or even teacher, babysitter) in teaching children things that they can do in their homes and become the family “hero”. While it doesn’t go into harrowing acts of heroism, it does show that Toni is a great helper and a good friend. When playing with his friends, he is just like them. When he is at home, he helps out. The book shows happy interactions with others. These examples are great to introduce to young readers. And it is not lost on little ones that even doing chores is as important as any hero saving the day.

What I loved about Toni the Superhero was the format geared towards new readers. The book displays a single sentence that describes just what Toni is getting into that day. The illustration of the book is amazing. The pictures do a wonderful job of reflecting what is being said in each sentence. It is not hard for a new reader to follow along and figure out what Toni is doing. I believe the easy to read sentences with the great pictures will give an early reader great confidence.

I give Toni the Superhero a 4 out of 4 stars. The author has created a useful book with a relatable character. I look forward to seeing what Toni the Superhero will do next.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like smbblack76's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”